Sober today

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Sober today

Unread postby Mitch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 am

I do not want to drink anymore. I am scared that I will. I start the day with good intentions and a strong mind. As the day goes on I find myself making excuses and rationalizing buying and then drinking alcohol. I have a problem and I realize I cannot stop on my own. I am afraid to go to a meeting. Admission is tough. Anyone out there?
Mitch

Re: Sober today

Unread postby BklynChik » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:41 am

I am. :)

What you are doing here is wonderful. Let me restate that--WONDERFUL! You are admitting you have a problem and are powerless against alcohol. That's the first step. Admission is tough, very tough. And it requires honesty. You're doing great.

The next step is action. After I admitted I had a problem, I had to do something about it. I started going to meetings. To find a meeting close to you, try: http://www.aa.org/lang/en/central_offices.cfm?origpage=373.

When I went to my first meeting, they had asked if anyone was new. I raised my hand and was welcomed. People came up to me after the meeting to welcome and guide me. That was 59 days ago. I haven't had a drink since.

Try finding a meeting you can go to today. Get phone numbers of some people wo have been the program a good amount of time. You can do this, but don't go at it alone. Having the support is what helps keep us sober.

Remember, take it one day at a time. Just don't drink today.

Hope this helps.
BklynChik

Unread postby Mitch » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:04 pm

Thank you, that means sooo much...The first day I was on the site I was not sure if I wanted to come on regularly, but I am back. Hence, the different screen name, norma. I am still sober. I have found a few meeting places very near my home actually. I think I should go. Today, I have been ok. However, I was try to rationalize having a drink. A six pack of beer does not sound as bad as a pint of vodka. I almost did. That was a tough one. A few hours later and I am ok for now. Your words helped. :D
Mitch

Unread postby BklynChik » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:59 am

Welcome back. I'm so glad my words helped. You're helping me to stay sober too. :)

Good job on not drinking! Keep reminding yourself "one day at a time, one day at a time..." Sometimes I have to say it a ton of times before it sticks! LOL

Today is my 60th day. I never thought I'd be able to get here. You can too. I can identify with the rationalization of drinking. The first day I ever went to a meeting, I had spoken to someone who is in AA and it was then that I said aloud that I had a problem. That was around 10am that day. The meeting was at 5:30pm. Between 10am and 5pm, my disease kept talking and was telling me that maybe I didn't have a problem. I almost let it talk me out of going to the meeting. I'm glad I didn't. I would have never had 60 days under my belt if I did. And now, as I continue in this program I am picking up tools on how to deal with my disease and me and I'm learning how to live, day by day, one day at a time.

Did you get to a meeting yesterday?

Keep at it!
BklynChik

Unread postby norma » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 pm

I did not make it to a meeting yet. Right now talking online seems to help. It is not that I don't want to go, but there is a part of my mind that still thinks we are ok. Plus, I am not brave enough yet. Baby steps...but I have not had a drink today. I worry about going back to work after vacation. My office mate is a heavy drinker. We would often swap stories of how much and when we drank. I often would say to him, I think I have a problem. He would laugh it off and say no you don't. Or things like if you are then I definitely am... Does it sound crazy that it is almost like keeping up appearances. Not sure how to deal with that one.

I kept busy today. Changed the routine. Today was a good day. :)
norma

Unread postby BklynChik » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:23 pm

I understand, trust me I do. What I'm finding is that it's the disease that tells me I'm ok. And if I keep listening to it, I won't get better. I'll wind up right where I started.

It's great that you didn't drink today, way to go! :)

As for your co-worker, it's no one's business. It's very normal to worry about how it appears to people. What I'm also finding thanks to this program is that it doesn't matter what others think about whether or not I have a problem. If YOU think you do, then that's what you need to act on. For all you know, he may have a problem!

You don't have to be brave to go to a meeting. The first meeting I went to I broke down and cried. You just have to want it. I won't force you, I don't want to sound like I'm preaching to you because I definitely don't mean to do that. I just know that without the meetings I wouldn't be where I am right now.

Have you read any of the Big Book? If not, try http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm. I would suggest reading "The Doctor's Opinion" first. That's what I was told to do. :)

Speak to you soon...
BklynChik

Unread postby norma » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Heading to bed sober feels good. I will check out the Big Book in the morning. A good way to start the day. You do not sound like your preaching. I am working up to it. Thanks for all of the good advise. I need to hear it. :D Have a good night
norma

Unread postby robertoZ » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:30 am

Hope the weekend went well and sober. Are you in Philadelphia or nearby? I can meet you at a meeting if you like. Going to one at noon today. And tomorrow. And the next day... :)
robertoZ

Unread postby readytochange » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:32 am

I am 35 year old mother of two small children. I have been married for five years. I don't want to be married anymore. I left my husband 6 months ago partly due to our drinking and I have cut down substantially. I went out on Friday night and was so hung over on Saturday that I could barly get out of bed. I do not want my kids to see me like that again.

I have to make so many changes - it is very overwhelming.
readytochange

Unread postby joeboo2265 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:56 pm

The best feeling you will ever have is waking up without a hangover and a clear mind. Do yourself a favor and go to a meeting, preferably, for me, a beginners meeting. Listen to people and see if you hear anything that may ring a bell. And let us all know. My last drink was 12/07/09, and I am loving life and A.A. Please try.
joeboo2265

Unread postby norma » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:58 am

readytochange wrote:
> I am 35 year old mother of two small children. I have been married for
> five years. I don't want to be married anymore. I left my husband 6
> months ago partly due to our drinking and I have cut down substantially. I
> went out on Friday night and was so hung over on Saturday that I could
> barly get out of bed. I do not want my kids to see me like that again.
>
> I have to make so many changes - it is very overwhelming.

I know the guilt you feel. I do not have children of my own. But, when I think of my nieces and nephews, I do not want to drink. I want to live and be sober for them and my family. Most importantly, for myself. I hated the thought I used to get when I was drunk or hung over..... "Your aunt is a drunk" Harsh, but true. Separating yourself may feel horrible, but it is a first step. You have to want to not drink even when your head tells you its ok or you want it. You can do it. You have so much to live for! :D Just start with one day.
norma

Unread postby robertoZ » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:20 pm

Big changes can seem overwhelming. That's why one of the main tenents of AA is "One Day at a Time". There's no need to make grand life changes. Go to a meeting today, and don't drink today. Everything will fall into place if you do those two simple things daily.
robertoZ

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion