Drinking to much

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Drinking to much

Unread postby JAF » Fri May 16, 2014 1:19 pm

Well, I am not sure I have a problem. I drink probably daily. I do not drink during the day. I am a stay at home mom and I have anything I want to drink here but I don't touch it. It seems to me not a big issue but my husband is concerned. I usually drink after 8:00, and have anywhere from 2 to 4 glasses of wine or a mix of maybe 2 rum and cokes and a glass or two of wine. I don't drink and drive and If I don't have wine or rum I won't drink anything. I guess that is why I don't think I have a problem. Wouldn't I drink anything I can get and all day, I don't have anyone here telling me I can't. So any thoughts out there for me?.
JAF

Re: Drinking to much

Unread postby Mara » Sun May 18, 2014 8:46 am

Hi, my name is Mara and I am an alcoholic. You are the only one who can answer that question. For the record, I never drank at work, never drank before noon and only drank beer or wine. I thought I was not an alcoholic. I had a good job, a nice car and my son never saw me drink. It was a slow but steady progression. Someone told me to just stop for 2 weeks. I thought surely I could. I lasted a day or two. The point is: it's the first drink. If you can stop after one, or not drink for a week or two, then maybe you are not an alcoholic ? It is usually the inability to stop after one drink. or when not drinking you still think about the next time you can. No one can decide but you. Hope this helps.
Mara

Unread postby Flock » Tue May 27, 2014 11:17 am

I agree with Mara - if you don't have a problem then just stop drinking for awhile. Also I think one of the questions I was asked when I wondered if I was an alcoholic was Does your drinking cause a problem in your relationship/marriage!!
Good luck!!
Flock

Unread postby emack » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:11 pm

as everyone said its only you who can say weather or not you have a problem.i thought I was fine.go to work all day and not ever want a drink but come 5 o'clock it was on.first it was one or two than it became more and more.you start using the excuses like"i go to work everyday,how could I be an alcoholic" or 'I don't drink during the day".its like any other sickness,it gets worse and worse if ya don't take care of it.
emack

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion