what does one do in sobriety if they dont believe in god?

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

what does one do in sobriety if they dont believe in god?

Unread postby leslie2614 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:28 am

I think the title is self explanatory. I believe in something much different. My higher power is not a god. My higher power is both mother nature and my deceased father and grandfather (meaning i ask them for help when i need it). What does that mean for sobriety?
leslie2614

Re: what does one do in sobriety if they dont believe in god

Unread postby leslie2614 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:40 am

Wow. Not one response. Now what
leslie2614

Unread postby Steve D » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Belief in any god is not required in AA. It should not bother you. You obviously came to AA because you cannot control your drinking. I suggest you find a sponsor, in your case a woman since Leslie sounds female, who uses the first 103 pages of the Big Book as the directions for how to work the steps. Once you start, you will experience the program as it is meant to be experienced, and more importantly you can choose your own conception of a Higher Power, Mother Nature, your departed father, your grandfather. I'm sure both of them want you to be the person they always believed you can be. And I'm sure that you are not the person you want to be as a result of your drinking.
Steve D

Unread postby Guest » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:11 pm

I don't believe in a higher power. I do believe in fate and karma. I believe if you have good values and treat people with love and kindness that is all you need. I don't have any family except my husband and daughter but that is all the family I need.

6 weeks clean for me after 30 years of drinking. I had joined all sorts of groups but couldn't find the strength do do it. I had hypnotherapy to give me a kick start. I'm struggling at the moment that's how I found this site. I have no support network and am hoping I can get some help here

Stay strong

Unread postby emack » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:08 am

There is help here.I think the only thing you really need to believe in is yourself.I believe in God and pray every day,but that is me.I believe in staying positive and that helps me allot.Find the good and learn from the bad.
emack

Unread postby FRANKLIN » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:46 pm

You gotta believe in a higher power my dear. proverbs 3: 5,6 says Trust in the lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge him and he shall make your path straight. it's hard to do it alone.
FRANKLIN

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion