****, I Can't Believe I'm Post This

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

****, I Can't Believe I'm Post This

Unread postby Bonnie1224 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:11 pm

I am a medical professional and I am afraid to go to meeting. If someone sees me they could report me and I could lose my license. I need help and I am ready. What the **** do I do?
Bonnie1224

Re: ****, I Can't Believe I'm Post This

Unread postby Lookingforhelp2018 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:48 am

Hi, I am also a medical professional and felt the same way. I did not go to meetings, thought I could handle if on my own and lost my job. No shame in reaching out for help, if you facility is worth working for, they will understand and allow you to get the help you need, after all we are in the business of Helping People. Good Luck
Lookingforhelp2018

Unread postby star65 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:37 am

Hi I'm not sure if you are still posting to this site. I too am a medical professional, who was sober for 13 years until I relapsed three years ago. I can't go to meetings in my area because my clients are there. I can't afford to lose anonymity. I do not want to drink anymore but I am basically alone in this. I almost lost everything including my life 16 years ago and I got sober with AA meetings. I also, as you can imagine, have no time to travel to meetings. It's so difficult and I understand your situation. Just wanted to say thank you for posting this...it's hard to find a meeting for professionals and our licences are our livelihood. I have a private practice so there's no safety net. I hope you didn't give up. Caregivers are the most likely to fall into this black hole. So again...Thanks. Star65
star65

Unread postby Chara » Mon May 21, 2018 4:34 pm

No need to feel like that. You be surprised who you see there. Anonymity No one in The rooms will tell anyone. There are plenty of nurses, Doctors, Lawyers even Judges in the rooms. If you don’t go in the rooms, You may loose your job I hope it works out for you ✌️
Chara

Unread postby snowal » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:54 pm

I'm a medical professional as well. Anything that happens within that meeting should remain confidential. You'd be surprised how many medical professionals attend AA/NA meetings. There are even specific meetings in Delaware directed towards people of certain professions in the medical field. I'm newer to the PA meetings, so I can't speak for PA. We are all here to support each other and get the help that we need. No judgement.
snowal

Unread postby Gaby » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:15 pm

I am a retired Medical professional. I go for periods of time without drinking and then I slip. Sometimes I feel like my whole social life revolves around alcohol. Happy hours, parties, vacations, cruises. I have tried being more active, playing tennis, etc. But after tennis my friends always want to get drinks. Another trigger for me is long quiet nights alone. I swear every show I watch involves people enjoying a big glass of wine. I know I sound whiney and like I am making excuses. But I really do want to get this under control. I see a therapist and she believes I must stop all alcohol. Maybe I am deluding myself but I want to learn to be a normal social drinker and not be driven to drain the bottle. Has anyone been able to go from problem drinker to social drinker?
Gaby

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion