Just For Today

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Just For Today

Unread postby Jason » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:00 pm

So many days of my life boil down to that one simple, yet profound statement. It seems like no matter how much time I get under my belt, I am still relying on that one saying. "Just for today". Of all that I have learned, talked about, and heard in AA...its those catch phrases that seem to keep me pointed in the right direction. They are indeed words to live by.

Just for today. No matter the length of time an addict has sober, we ALL only have today. It could be gone tomorrow, next week, or in 1 minute. "Just get me through today", I say to myself, sometimes in my head, sometimes aloud. Sometimes I say it over and over. Just for today, just for today, just for today.

Then I try to think back to the first day. I try to remember that feeling. The crying. The pain. The dispair. The loneliness. I want to remember. I need to remember, and remind myself. It is that memory that keeps it real. Makes it clear. Often, after going through this ritual, I cry. And it feels good. Crying was once an unpleasant experience, now for the most part, it is in thanks, and appreciation for what my higher power has given me. This life, really... this DAY of sobriety. And I pray to keep it. Just for today
Jason

Re: Just For Today

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:40 am

Hi Jason, I like how you see things. We only have this moment, we only have now. Meditation is also a big help.

Re: Just For Today

Unread postby Jason » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Thank you! You mentioned meditation... my wife and I were just talking about that. It is a wonderful way to clear your mind, and strengthen yourself. Thanks
Jason

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion