It's a lonely beginning

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

It's a lonely beginning

Unread postby Toogie » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:02 pm

I know that this has been a long road coming for me. Admitting I have a problem has been so hard for me because no one even knows its a problem. Alcoholism runs in my family and I swore it would never be me, but here I am with a disease that has plagued my family. I'm scared and don't know where to turn, and this is taking a lot for me to even admit to complete strangers. I'm alcoholic and I know it, I want so much to change it but I don't know where to start or where to turn for help. If anyone has any advice or suggestions please let me know I feel lost enough in this fight.
Toogie

Re: It's a lonely beginning

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:25 am

Hi Toogie,

1) Find a AA meeting next to your home, and go asap!!! Go once a day, twice a day or as many times as needed. Check the home page of this web site, you'll find the complete list of meetings available. That's a great start.

2) Then make an appointment with your doctor and see what he/she recommends (medication, therapy, etc.). Therapy (if your insurance covers it or if you can afford it) is another great way to fight your addiction.

3) Read books about addiction and alcoholism to understand what's going on.

4) Don't give up! And if you relapse, try again.

Good luck to you!

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion