Questions and more questions.

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Questions and more questions.

Unread postby vulcanjedi » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:22 am

Greetings programs
I was recently convinced by family members to talk to my doc about depression. It was determined I was depressed and using alcohol to self medicate. And he determined I was a moderate alcohol abuser. I started medication for the depression. Before I did that I could have counted on one hand the times I thought I got drunk in the last 3 or 4 years. Even my family agreed I did not drink to get intoxicated just that I drank mostly all the time. It seems I now am drinking out of habit. The problem is my alcohol tolerance is now drastically lowered because of the medication. So the same 4 beers that would have been ok before might now get me drunk and stupid. I am not supposed to be on the medication forever. And I have that annoying little voice in me that says it does not want to give up beer forever. A big part of my limited social life with my wife is going out to bars and dinner and food and drink and parties at friends houses.
Bottom line is I didn't think it was much of an issue before but family was concerned it could turn into an issue at the drop of a hat. I have also talked to a therapist that explained someone who needed to have one glass of wine every day was pretty much the same as someone that needed 4 beers a day.
And my family would be my number one priority. But I'm not sure how I would feel walking into a meeting with a group of strangers since I was also told I have a social anxiety issue.
One positive thing is I think there is a group that meets twice a week that is one block from my house. That close proximity would cut the anxiety in half.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
VJ
vulcanjedi

Re: Questions and more questions.

Unread postby Dan » Fri May 01, 2009 9:55 pm

Alcoholism is a disease and i cant diagnose you with it because you need to decide for yourself if you have it. when i was drinking i didnt believe there was anything wrong with me but that is because i know i am an alcoholic now and the reason i didnt know before because i was in denial. now when i look back on my life i realize it was completely unmanageable and that i was powerless over drugs and alcohol. really my suggestion to you is look up a meeting in your area and try it out you can decide for yourself if you want to keep coming back. Something i can guarantee though is you will be welcomed and see how the people there will really care and hear you out.
Dan

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion