Need Advice

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Need Advice

Unread postby jcardi » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:44 pm

I am new to the boards and looking for any advice on how to curb my drinking. I am not an every day drinker but almost every weekend. Some weekends I have self control and others I lose complete control. I am looking into AA meetings or any other proven methods to stop the binge drinking. My wife just threatened to file for divorce if I do not make a change. There seems to be mixed feelings about the effectiveness of AA meetings. I am trying my first AA meeting this week, but was wondering what else is out there. Thanks for reading
jcardi

Re: Need Advice

Unread postby SFrosting » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:29 pm

When we want to 'curb' our addictions? - drinking in your case - it is THEN that we know we have the challenge -
Try and 'control' your drinking - and then you will see how you need/want/desire/crave - your addiction.
You sound faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr away from changing -
It is the 'gift of desperation' -
You will know when you know.

The requirement to attend meetings "is the desire to stop drinking"
You can go anytime - lit or not.

The program/people and alllll the miracles that come with it will be there for you when you are ready.
SFrosting

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:19 am

When you're ready, everything will work out fine. You just have to want to quit. Reading stuff about addiction is helpful. Understanding how it works doesn't make it easier, but at least you know what's going on.

Unread postby hopeful » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:52 pm

I am considering going to an AA meeting for the first time also and I am really scared. I don't know if I can call myself an alcoholic cause I can go months without drinking and I can also just have one or two drinks and stop and then there's times when I am in certain moods or atmospheres where I drink way too much and have blackouts where I can't remember anything that happened that night. So where do I fit in, am I someone who would benifit from AA meetings. I really want to stop drinking completely, for so many reasons.. any adivce???
hopeful

Unread postby SFrosting » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Let these be suggestions to you -

1. Get to a meeting - ANY meeting
2. Be quiet and listen
3. .......then go to another meeting

Advice is not what we do in this program -
We only share our own experience, strength and hope - and
through listening to these things, you may find something
you relate to.

Miracles can and WILL happen for you.........
YOU will make the decision; and not one minute sooner.

You are in my prayers - and you will be welcomed with open arms from allllll at any meeting you attend.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE...........ANYMORE.
SFrosting

Unread postby danger maus » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:41 pm

If you're just looking to curb yourself I don't think you're really ready for AA. But, you could always go to a meeting or two and see if you like what you hear. They're always there when you're really ready to change your life. If not, good luck out there.
danger maus

Unread postby chris12 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 am

every time i tried to CURB my drinking thats where i ended up back on the curb. IF you are alcoholic i promise it WILL get worse. when your ready the promises WILL come true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and life will have a new meaning.
chris12

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion