How's your Health now?

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

How's your Health now?

Unread postby HealthInRecovery » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi All! Doing some research regarding the health of recovering alcoholics and addicts. Feel free to reply with any common health challenges you have had that may or may not be linked to your history of drinking/drugging. Also, what methods have you found helpful to stay healthy physically as well as mentally and spirtually in your recovery? Thanks! Looking forward to the discussion. :D
HealthInRecovery

Re: How's your Health now?

Unread postby jlwill » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:40 pm

My liver enzymes were out of the normal range but have now returned to normal after being alcohol and benzo free for one month.

The liver is great at regenerating itself but I also made a point of eating healthy foods, avoiding unnecessary medications, drinking 60-72 ounces of bottled water and taking a liver cleanse supplement (Try Gaia Herb Milk Thistle Seed - Ultimate Support for Healthy Liver Function or Ultimate Liver Cleanse by Nature's Secret. Available at health food stores.)

I am completely against benzo's (Valium, Klonopin, Xanax, Atavan, Serax, etc.).

Why? They may calm cravings for alcohol, rid you of anxiety and be prescribed by your doctor but you may become addicted. I was. I was told that withdrawal from benzo's is more difficult than withdrawal from heroine. Withdrawal from benzo's for me was completely hellish. It was far worse than any alcohol withdrawal I've had.

I resisted Seroquel, used at lower doses for anxiety, but found 75 mg. helpful for a dental procedure yesterday instead of Atavan and Valium.

You are not truly sober if you are using addictive meds (benzos/pain meds) or addictive substances (pot/opiates).
jlwill

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion