Alcohol and sugar craving

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Alcohol and sugar craving

Unread postby SoMD » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:41 am

I have a number of symptoms of Candida and in my research I came across cravings for sugar and alcohol as one of them. I had been a steady drinker for years, not getting up in the am needing a drink, rather feeling a need for a beer (or 6) around midday, even on weekends.
Last week I decided I needed to give up my drinking after I was diagnosed with a slightly enlarged heart (alcohol being a contributing factor) and I have been dry for about 5 days now. I was still fighting the midday urge when I decided to start taking herbal supplements (specifically a product called Candistroy) to fight the Candida symptoms. From my own personal experience I am finding that the urge has diminished considerably. Additionally I have far less craving for carbs and sugar, something I am very attuned to since I have been diagnosed with Seasonal Affective Disorder for over 20 years. For the first time in years, I am not hitting the fridge for a midnight carb snack; ice cream, PB and J sandwich, large bowl of cereal, etc. .
It is still early on but I did want to share this experience with dealing with my own alcoholism and am curious if others have had similar anecdotes with treating Candida symptoms and its affect on alcoholic behavior.
Additionally, for the past 5 weeks I have been taking vitamin supplements, eating healthier, cut sodium from my diet, am finally getting exercise and forcing myself to relax thru meditation tapes to ease my overall stress.

Male/57
SoMD

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion