I'M AFRAID

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

I'M AFRAID

Unread postby CHEFJIM » Thu May 06, 2010 8:49 am

Hi, I am very new at this I need help. I don't want to drink anymore. Drinking has ruined my life. I am getting ready to go to my first meeting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
CHEFJIM

Re: I'M AFRAID

Unread postby puddy » Thu May 06, 2010 7:12 pm

Raise your hand when they ask if there are any newcomers. Get a sponsor you are comfortable with. Keep an open mind. I know how much it hurts but it can only get better if you don't drink. Good luck!
puddy

Unread postby sanderson0 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:37 pm

I'm new to this website but just want to say I hope you are doing better. I had been sober for 13 years and went back out 3 years ago. Have been struggling ever since. I just recently moved to PA and jumped right into AA out here and have 46 days today. It really does work, I hope you give it a shot. I tried every other means to stay sober and the only thing that works for me is AA. I recommend bypassing everything else and stick to AA if you really want to get your life back. Hang in there, there are a lot of us out there.
sanderson0

Unread postby rockstarchick311 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:48 pm

im in the same boat as you . ive been struggling with alcohol since i was 16 and now that im 23 its only gotten worse. i just lost my relationship of 5 1/2 years to a great man that has tried to help me through this. i thought i could cut back to the weekends and i did for a month or so . soon enough it went back to the weekdays .. i cant just have a couple drinks . i tend to black and say or do hurtful things to the people i care about the most . right now i just feel so low and cant understand why i cannot control this .
rockstarchick311

Unread postby Kimbey » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Dear I'm Afraid,

You can't cut back or control. I have been sober 4 1/2 yrs. It took me until I was 45 yrs of age to do it.
DO NOT WAIT THAT LONG! You can have your life and your realtionship back. I lost everything but have
slowly but surely gotten most of my life back. I was a vodka drinker. At the end I was up to a 5th a day.
I tried to switch to beer or wine but nothing changed. Alcohol is Alcohol. If you have to control something,
than you do not have control. AA is a great place to be with sober people who are going through the same
things as you (Chef Jim).....You guys can do this. If I can, anyone can. A friend of mine gave me a simple
sentence that changed my life..."Nothing changes, if nothing changes"...How true it is. My blessings go out
to all of you and hope you seek the comfort of AA and know that if you don't pick up, things can only get better.
Believe me! I now own my own house and have a good job. Like I said, alcohol is cunning and baffling and powerful.
The only way to get better is to stop drinking and attend meetings where you will get the support you need.

Good Luck and God Bless
Kimbey

Unread postby Rain » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:53 pm

I hope you went to your first meeting and said that you are a newcomer. That's good advice.

To the other poster:
At every AA meeting , it is very likely there will be a table or rack with liturature on it.
There should be a pamphlet on "Am I an alcoholic?". Take that little quiz. It will let you know if you are an alcoholic, or a heavy drinker.
Rain

Unread postby beckett422 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:50 am

CHEFJIM wrote:Hi, I am very new at this I need help. I don't want to drink anymore. Drinking has ruined my life. I am getting ready to go to my first meeting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

give me a call jim and ill share my strenth and hope with you my suggestion is that get a sponcer and get into the 12 steps of alcholics annonomous it worked for me call me id likde to talk to you *** *** ****
beckett422

Unread postby april » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:30 pm

HI AFRAID I AM TOO IM TRYING TO GET SOBER BUT IM AFRIAD
april

Unread postby Rain » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:21 pm

What are you afraid of?

Because most of the time what you are afraid of is a lie.

Ask your sponsor. This is true.
Rain

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion