Drifted away from aa

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Drifted away from aa

Unread postby ginny » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:26 pm

I have been sober for 16 years. My life has been filled with aa, and aa friends and meetings until this past year.
God has been very good to me and filled my life with opportunities, challanges and choices.
When I was active, I had no choices. Alcohol was the choice.
When I was in early recovery a young woman said to me..."you can do anything you want in the entire world, but drink"
It has stuck with me all these years and I apply it to my life when I am up against the wall about a decision and I finally let go and say...
I can do anything I want- decide anything I want and if it doesn't work out, I can make another decision.
I couldn't even feed my dog when I was drinking.
God has been kind to me and had pity on me often.
The old addage be careful what you wish for...you may get it.
well, I always wanted my own business and I am so overwhelmed I can't sleep.
I haven't been to meetings in a while and I am trying to reach out where I can.
I know the dangers so if talking to my aa friends and trying the online approach helps till I have more time, then I am in.
looking for good aa conversation
ginny

Re: Drifted away from aa

Unread postby Rain » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:29 pm

know the dangers so if talking to my aa friends and trying the online approach helps till I have more time, then I am in.

Talking to AA friends and being online still put you in the same place: "There will come a time when no human power can relieve our alcoholism."

At sixteen years, you know the answers, because they are the same ones that you would tell me:

Go to meetings. Get a sponsor. Work the steps. Clean house and get right with God.
Your sobriety won't take care of itself, and you are needed for 12th step work.

BTW, listening to AA speakers online is fabulous, but not a subsitute.
Rain

Unread postby windexeyes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:56 pm

I drifted away but it is due to my uprooting from Queens, NY to Wysox, Pa. a car that broke down and no
car to get me to meetings. Sober 14 years and using all other tools to keep me sane. But there is nothing like
the brotherhood/sisterhood and getting hugs and encouragement. Hopefully I will get a car soon and be able to
get to a meeting. So in response to your share I say make the time somehow because we certainly made time to drink. -Theresa
windexeyes

Unread postby ginny » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:27 am

It really is the truth there is no substitute for aa meetings and the fellowship. There is a magic.. a feeling of relief and peace that waves over me while I sit in a meeting. No matter what has happened before I walk in- I just have to sit and listen and I begin to feel calm. There are only two places in the world that I felt completely at home and that was a bar and an aa meeting. As long as I am busy I don't think about it but when things slow down I realize how lonely I am for the company of people who really understand me-like no-one else can. I need to recharge and make time for meetings near work. thanks for the support
ginny

Unread postby sober35 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:08 pm

ginny wrote:I have been sober for 16 years. My life has been filled with aa, and aa friends and meetings until this past year.
God has been very good to me and filled my life with opportunities, challanges and choices.
When I was active, I had no choices. Alcohol was the choice.
When I was in early recovery a young woman said to me..."you can do anything you want in the entire world, but drink"
It has stuck with me all these years and I apply it to my life when I am up against the wall about a decision and I finally let go and say...
I can do anything I want- decide anything I want and if it doesn't work out, I can make another decision.
I couldn't even feed my dog when I was drinking.
God has been kind to me and had pity on me often.
The old addage be careful what you wish for...you may get it.
well, I always wanted my own business and I am so overwhelmed I can't sleep.
I haven't been to meetings in a while and I am trying to reach out where I can.
I know the dangers so if talking to my aa friends and trying the online approach helps till I have more time, then I am in.

Wow, I have been sober for 37 years and about 15 years ago stopped going to meeting because I got tired of listening to people talk about slips and relapses, I pray a lot and read the big book and 24hr a day book and thank god I am sober. Yesterday, I had to put my 24 year old son in detox soon to be followed by rehab. It was just like looking into a mirror and the pain was great. I am so grateful to be sober so I can help him. stay in touch
sober35

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion