Step One?

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Step One?

Unread postby hazel figurine » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:59 pm

How do you just talk to someone to find out if you need a sponsor?

I get accused of being an alcoholic but I do not think so. I drink a lot (probably 5 days a week). Black out drink probably 2 times a week. I mean I have not hit rock bottom but I would like to find something else to center my life around other than drinking. I have been drinking since I was 13 so that's about 21 years now. It feels like its time to step away.

Can you just observe a meeting without speaking? I mean I would probably shut down. Plus I do not want religion involved. I see people on here saying praise God and that is great for people who want it or need it but I am not one.

Just wondering. Thank You for any information.
hazel figurine

Re: Step One?

Unread postby Rain » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:22 am

Hi Hazel;

Welcome!
I'll try to answer some of your questions.

"I get accused of being an alcoholic but I do not think so." " It feels like its time to step away."

There is a way to find out if you are an alcoholic. There is a quiz that will help you decide here: http://www.aa.org/subpage.cfm?page=71

"Can you just observe a meeting without speaking?"
Yes. You might get asked to introduce yourself, but it is not required. Non Alcoholics (including those that don't know yet) can go to an "open" meeting of AA. Just call AA in your area and ask where an open meeting is. They will know and tell you.

"I mean I would probably shut down."

I sure did. I got asked if I wanted to speak at my first meeting. I said "No" and no one asked again or tried to make me.

Plus I do not want religion involved.
AA is not allied with any sect, denomination or religion.

I see people on here saying praise God and that is great for people who want it or need it but I am not one.

I wouldn't worry about it right now. You get to choose how you do some things in this program, and that is one of them.
How do you just talk to someone to find out if you need a sponsor?

A sponsor is someone to help you work the 12 steps of AA. If you decide that you are an alcoholic, and want to get sober, then a sponsor will be a benefit to you. (You won't need a sponsor just to go to a meeting or two)

A sponsor should be someone that has worked all the steps, and can help you to work them too. When you go to a meeting, there will be some free liturature. One of the booklets is "Sponsorship". Go ahead and pick one up and take it home. Actually, at most meetings you can take any (or all) of the pamphlets, and they will probably have some books for sale. Someone will anounce to the meeting what the deal is, so you won't need to worry if you're doing the right thing.

Have a good evening, stay in touch and feel free to PM if you'd like.

Rain
Rain

Unread postby redroad » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:40 pm

:cry: , wow Rain, well said.
redroad

Unread postby redroad » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:43 pm

hazel figurine wrote:How do you just talk to someone to find out if you need a sponsor?

I get accused of being an alcoholic but I do not think so. I drink a lot (probably 5 days a week). Black out drink probably 2 times a week. I mean I have not hit rock bottom but I would like to find something else to center my life around other than drinking. I have been drinking since I was 13 so that's about 21 years now. It feels like its time to step away.

Can you just observe a meeting without speaking? I mean I would probably shut down. Plus I do not want religion involved. I see people on here saying praise God and that is great for people who want it or need it but I am not one.

Just wondering. Thank You for any information.

Hazel,
Rain hit the AA-Nail on the head. I been sober 34 years and just barely got a sponsor. And he came to me and ask if he could sponsor me. I humbled myself and accepted. We just now started talking about the 1st Step. It may take another 10 years. But everyone has their pace. I wish and pray for yours to come and that you accept it.
redroad

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion