Trying to get sober

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Re: Trying to get sober

Unread postby csommers » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:52 pm

I'm glad to say the only way out is a higher power and the 12 steps. Don't listen to the hocus pocus you hear in the rooms. Just go through the steps the way it is outlined in the Big Book. Get a sponsor who has working knowledge of the steps. The bad news is if you don't do this you will die.
csommers

Unread postby windexeyes » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:10 am

Over 14 years ago I have said so many times I am trying to get sober. And then I realized I can't try to get sober I MUST get sober. Tired of waking up being controlled by drinking. I got rid of the bad relationships that were controlling me and realized that there was a real big problem with alcohol being in control of my life. After 3 years of sobriety I realized smoking cigarettes was another thing controlling me and that was 11 years ago. Now the only person in control of me is me and my higher power no substance and no other person. OK maybe sweet treats once in awhile but I am in control. Remember DON'T TRY to get sober, get sober and take one day at a time staying sober. Those three letter words sometimes can kill us. Two of them off the top of my head TRY & BUT, get rid of those words.
windexeyes

Unread postby @mizzlala215 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:58 pm

hello. read that you are trying to get sober. i would recomend detox. u may not want to but it would be best for you. yes you may go threw a hard withdraw but they have medication for you that will make it a little easier. i lost my father last year at the age of 18 to alcohol. now i go around and tell people whats going to happen if they dont ask for help. my mom works for a drug and alcohol clinic so i go in there and speak sometimes and tell them how hard it is loosing some1 so close to u so soon without a clue it was going to happen. yes i knew my dad was sick but i didnt know that he was that sick. i beggedand pleaded with him the hole time to get help and it hurt my heart when ever i saw him hurting. i feel your pain but drinking isnt going to take it away.yes it can ease it for a little while but eventually that pain is going to come back. so please consider my advice with detox.. i wish the best to you and hope you get better. good luck!
@mizzlala215

Unread postby ms donna » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:31 am

Rain wrote:To the OP;

"I called you at the time that you suggested -- and offered to help you. Since you were too busy planning and thinking about photos -- I understand, you didn't have time to talk with me. If you get the time, out of your busy schedule, and want help again, and can fit me in -- you have my number. Hopefully, I'll still be available to help. Best regards."

Now, I'll move on to the next one.

Sometimes a person gets the gift of desperation. And, they toss it.

For myself -- my experience proved to me, that getting sober was not so much a choice I would make in "my time". I failed to recognize that Life presents us with "windows of opporuntiy" to change. And, when the window closes -- there are sometimes no more windows and no more doors that will be opened.

I hope you get another window.
I hope when i reach out :!: I have someone a little more patient :twisted:
:?:
ms donna

Unread postby ms donna » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:39 am

Sissi0803 wrote:Also Rain and I believe in God and he never shuts the windows on me. Thanks but he will help me more than you....

you will have doors and windows open all thru your life...Lets just pray we walk or crawl thru the right ones. i to am tring to find the right one. but i dont wanna get slammed in that one :oops:
ms donna

Previous

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion