went to a meeting and no one was there :(

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

went to a meeting and no one was there :(

Unread postby maremann2 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:16 pm

I am new to AA and am trying out new meetings. Half of the fun/challenge/battle has been finding what church basebasement door to enter, navigate meeting times with work, counseling , group therapy, etc. OKAY - Friday night !! I go to a meeting listed in my brochure, showed up 6 minutes early and not a soul in sight, other than the cleaning lady with her bucket. Said hello to her and wished her a good night. I'm back at home and am now out of options for a meeting. Is trying not enough? Does the medical aa have special meetings not open to the public aa? Does the employee cafeteria have their own aa meetings, and if so, why are they listed in a brochure that I have received?
maremann2

Re: went to a meeting and no one was there :(

Unread postby Rain » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:25 pm

What you are described is a meeting "going dark". It's not as ominous as it sounds.

Sometimes a meeting location changes, or everybody ends up going to a different meeting, or (my personal experience) you've got the wrong day or time. Meetings change. It happens. New meetings spring up all the time too.

Here's a suggestion, though. Call the local AA intergroup that listed the meeting. Their phone # will be on the booklet or website. You will be doing the next person a favor (and you get to bitch! Kidding) by telling them no one was there.
Intergroup will update the information. You'll be helping another alcoholic not go through this.
Rain

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion