Looking for help

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Looking for help

Unread postby bprice40 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:17 am

I am a 43 yr old male, married, two kids, great career. Have always been a drinker, it's progressed over the last few years. I don't drink during the day but as soon as 5-6 o'clock rolls around I start and usually wake up around 2-3am passed out on the couch. More and more I'm hiding it, every morning I feel like crap and tell myself today's the day I stop and then the cycle continues.

I've never been to meetings but I feel like I need to start, I don't want to be this person anymore. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Brian
bprice40

Re: Looking for help

Unread postby dani » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Hello, when I read your post, it reminded me of myself. I am a 35 year old mom of three and I do the same thing every night. I look forward to my nightly glass of wien which always turns into a nightly bottle.
dani

Unread postby guest » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:26 am

Hi to you both,

There is a great download (PDF) called Rethinking Drinking. I think it's put out by the National Institute for Drug and Alcohol. Read the signs of alcohol dependence on this web site too. Self assessment is always so much better then waiting for something bad to happen. Too often it does.

There is this recovering priest (now deceased) who always said "If it causes a problem, it is a problem". If you're concerned, then that is the first step. Educate yourself by reading and seeking out the advice of people who understand and can encourage you. This site is wonderful resource.

There is always hope if you are looking for an answer. All the best.

from someone who loves this site!

Unread postby iowafarmer » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:50 am

Brian: thanks for your honesty. That truly is your first step.......being able to admit there's a problem. There are some 1,700 meetings a week in the greater Phila area........and, all times of the day. I am not sure of your location, but you can find meetings easily online. I am a morning person, and my Home Group is the 6:30 am WakeUp Group in Malvern......which meets 7 days a week. Its a great way to start a day! But, congratulations on admitting that there is a problem.....many of us are available to help........ :)
iowafarmer

Unread postby CharlesDarnay » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Hi Brian. The first step--admitting you have a problem-- takes courage. And it's the hardest one to take. Pride and ego often get in the way.

My story was very similar to yours. I had/have a great family and career as well. But due to my increased drinking the edges were fraying and I could see disaster coming like a train. I had a full time career, a part-time job drinking and another part-time job covering it up. :lol: I had to change.

I'd suggest initially seeing a doctor to get a handle on your health -- and a beginning of being honest with yourself and others.

By taking positive action, you will be able to let yourself off the hook and not have to live every day with fear, resentment and shame. Imagine that burden lifted off your shoulders.

Good luck.
CharlesDarnay

Unread postby andiehope » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:15 pm

And oh we think we hide it so well... (as I am consuming...)

a. :idea:
andiehope

Unread postby Guest » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:46 am

There's help and hope in AA and Al-Anon. This real and honest program and people is a godsend. You may find just what you need and want in your heart of hearts. Sending you love and peace and hope, your friend, Lynne

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion