options for drunk in denial, mid-divorce, no home

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

options for drunk in denial, mid-divorce, no home

Unread postby MimiFla » Sat May 18, 2019 10:06 am

My sister is still married but about to divorce her husband of 30+ years. He lost his livelihood. They just gave up their apartment. My daughter moved in with her daughter and son-in-law and granddaughter. When the last day of the apartment approached, plans fell through with a family member who was willing to take my brother-in-law who is deep in denial about his situation. My all accounts this is Day 2 with no booze for this heavy drinker. No options for paying for rehab. Being sober myself for 30+ years, I know it is possible to get sober WITHOUT a rehab, but this drunk does not have a supportive family after all this time. There is no room for him to crash at daughter's house. I'm not sure how they can successfully get him out or where he should go/can go. Yes, he can be on the street. Not sure any of them have the heart to do that to him, but they don't have the heart of have him stay and support him getting sober and all else we know he needs to do.

I'm looking for someone willing to 12-step him.
MimiFla

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism