Are family members liable?

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Are family members liable?

Unread postby ks » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi,
Can family members be held liable for the actions of an alcoholic/addict? For instance, can a spouse or sibling of the alcoholic be sued by someone harmed by the alcoholic's actions, simply because we are aware of his alcolholism, even though we've tried to get him sober? Where can I find advice or information on this topic?
Thanks.
ks
ks

Re: Are family members liable?

Unread postby Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:58 am

You are not liable for an alcoholic's actions in the state of PA unless you were part of the incident (I know that from personal experience). However every case is different, and if I were you, I would talk to a lawyer.

Re: Are family members liable?

Unread postby MandyCane » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:55 pm

Hello KS,
Unfortunately my husband had an incident back in Oct and I was told by our lawyer that since I was not at the incident there is nothing they can do to me. They can not garnish my husbands wages or anything like that if we are sued and because we are married it protects us even more. I would still call a lawyer though. The call is free. Good luck.
MandyCane

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism