Alcoholic Parents

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Alcoholic Parents

Unread postby MandyCane » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:59 pm

I am 28 years old and have never known sober parents. This is something that I just realized a few months ago and it is really starting to bother me. I am the oldest of 4 siblings and am the one that holds the family together. Our parents drinking affects each of us in different ways and it hurts so much to see that in my siblings. I can't say how many times I've been told that they are going to stop drinking, but for some reason each time I do have a small glimpse of hope even though I know it will not happen. Sometimes their drinking isn't really on my mind and I can be fine other times like now I can't even bear it and I burst out in tears. I watch intervention each week in hopes that I will find some miracle cure of what I can do. My Mom called me about 3 weeks ago and said that my Dad needed to go to the hospital and would not listen to her. I came over and talked him into going. I find out that he has has cirrohis of the liver for two years and they just decided to stop seeing the liver Dr. My Dad's withdrawl was so bad. Seeing him shake like that from what he had done to himself disgusted me. I was even more disgusted knowing that my Mom is seeing this and would be going home to drink. My Dad does not work and was drinking from the moment he woke up until the second he went to bed. It makes me want to vomit thinking about it. I'm happy to say he is not drinking like this since he's been out of the hospital, but my Mom is still drinking heavily. She tells me she'll be done by new years. I said I'll be over at 12:01 am. I really can't take this anymore I don't know what to do.
MandyCane

Re: Alcoholic Parents

Unread postby ari » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:45 pm

theres nothing you can do but support and encourage them in recovery; but if you ask any addict or alcoholic they'll tell you the same thing unless the person really wants to get sober and for themself they wont. however, if its too much for you to watch anymore and to enable them it is your choice to tell them that until they get sober and seek treatment you wont be in their lives
ari

Unread postby Mandy Cane » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:33 pm

Thank you, that was the advice I was afraid of though. I don't want to cut them off, but I have to for myself.
Mandy Cane

Unread postby Friend » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:56 am

There is a group for family members called Al Anon I believe. Look them up, and go to a meeting. Hopefully you will find the support you need to deal with this situation. I am sorry for your pain.
Friend

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism