brother is an addict

This forum is for family and friends of people who are addicted to drugs
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

brother is an addict

Unread postby jjc1007 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:32 am

My brother is an addict. He relapsed on crack cocaine after 7 yrs clean. He now lives with me since his wife gave him the boot.
Last week he went on a binge, 1500.00 worth, and lastnight he walked by me and went out. Its now 9:30 am and he is on the phone with his boss telling him god knows what, but I told him he can't stay here and do drugs. If he wants to get clean I will help him. I am pissed off. This emotional black mail is bullshit, I want to help him but not at the expense of losing my own family, my son's are watching this.
jjc1007

Re: brother is an addict

Unread postby steve H » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:30 pm

I am sorry that you are confronted with this situation. In Al-anon we learn to detach with love. I have a addict son that is using and it is very difficult to watch. But we need to take care of first things first and if your brother is using, he simply cannot be in your home. Don't feel guilty, it is the right thing on many levels. I recommend going to al-anon meetings. It will give you the tools to cope with your brother in the most healthy way possible.
steve H

Return to Family and Friends - Drug Addiction