Need other parents advice!

This forum is for family and friends of people who are addicted to drugs
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Need other parents advice!

Unread postby mamaof3 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:57 pm

We discovered my 15 yr old son was using drugs in April. Thankfully, we discovered this problem "early on" and he has made huge strives with intense in patient and out patient therapy, counseling, etc. As a Mom, this was the hardest thing I could have ever imagined would happen to me, but growing up with an alcoholic father, I am aware of the benefits of AA, and therapy. Just looking for other parents of teens who have gone thru this already. My son is about 3 months sober(at least to my knowledge, including random drug tests) but this has been very difficult for me and my husband(stepfather to our son). I always thought I was the "tough" Mom, always in my son's business, checking in with other parents, etc. but I guess it goes to show you that this truly can happen to any family! Any other parent's advice would be so helpful, especially with those dealing with similar issues. Thanks for listening...."Proud" mama of 3
mamaof3

Re: Need other parents advice!

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:13 am

Yes, this can happen to any family. Kudos to you for being there to help! I think that keeping the line of communication open is very important as well as rebuilding a sense of trust. Has anybody else on this board been through something similar?

Unread postby bigeazy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:15 am

It's important that as a parent you take care of yourself 1st...regardless of what your son does or does not do...many parents get so caught up in their family members disease and lose sight on themselves don't forget this is a family disease and as you son gets the help he needs-you also need to find a support group unfortunately many family members are in denial about this fact-you also stated your a child of an alcoholic which brings it's own issues how does the family truly begin the process of healing if only one is getting help, we're all affected by this, so we all need support
bigeazy

Unread postby tlmac » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:01 pm

As of right now my son is in a treatment program in another state he has been there 3 months now and will be there until at least June/July. As a mother it was the hardest thing I have ever done. I am trying to find support groups in my area and as of right now I cannot locate any that I could get to. I have come to the reality that my son is an adict and I did not do anything to get him there. As of right now he is not ready to admit that he is an adict or that he even has a problem. I know in time he will get there but it's hard for everyone in my family right now. My husband (step-father) is paying the entire bill for his treatment and I am so blessed to have a man like him in my life. My 6 year old misses his big brother so much and so do I. I know I need to keep strong and try to find a positive path for me to follow and I am trying to do that as well as to see if I can build a positive base for my son to come home to. God bless you in your journey my thoughts and prayers will be with you.
tlmac

Unread postby none » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:24 pm

mamaof3 wrote:We discovered my 15 yr old son was using drugs in April. Thankfully, we discovered this problem "early on" and he has made huge strives with intense in patient and out patient therapy, counseling, etc. As a Mom, this was the hardest thing I could have ever imagined would happen to me, but growing up with an alcoholic father, I am aware of the benefits of AA, and therapy. Just looking for other parents of teens who have gone thru this already. My son is about 3 months sober(at least to my knowledge, including random drug tests) but this has been very difficult for me and my husband(stepfather to our son). I always thought I was the "tough" Mom, always in my son's business, checking in with other parents, etc. but I guess it goes to show you that this truly can happen to any family! Any other parent's advice would be so helpful, especially with those dealing with similar issues. Thanks for listening...."Proud" mama of 3

try families anonymous...it is for parent's or those close to a child who is struggling with addiction. they have a huge online support group and also face to face meetings...google it..good luck
none

Unread postby k » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:59 am

I am new member. I have 22 years old son been taking all kind of pain killer since 2 years ( that what he said ) he want to get help, four times he went to rehab first 3 times he stayed maximum 2 weeks, last one he stayed 4 weeks and consular suggest that FL will be good for him for 4 weeks and than he can move to sober housing he was very excited we went with that. Each time he come out from rehab he promos that he will go for meeting which he never went not even one time He stayed in only in that place 1 week because they will not give him anti depression. He is back he is doing same thing i do not give him any money at all . My brother took his responsibility we all thought he is sober he moved to nyc with my family but he walked out , he dropped out from college 4 times. i do not know what to do now his friends comes and take him and drug him also because he is no money. I desperately need help please i have three other kids my youngest is 11 years old he cry and ask him stop taking drugs but he senceless.
k

Unread postby jbfiles3667 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:12 am

I need some help. I'm new to this whole process, My son is an addict and he almost died from overdose of pills. I'm trying to figure out how and when there are na/aa/al-anon /alateen groups that our family can attend in the area so we all can be at which ever meeting is for us. ex. son at aa/na meetings me at al-anon or nar-anon and my daughter at alateen. I don't know where to begin my search every place I look doesn't have my area.
jbfiles3667

Unread postby jbfiles » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:23 am

My son is a recovering addict. He almost died of a drug overdose. I'm new to this whole process. I'm looking for meetings that my whole family can attend.ex. my daughter for alateen, me for al-anon or nar-anon. my son for aa, na. I just can't seem to find meetings where we all can go to our own meeting for that day of the week. I don't know where to begin. :(
jbfiles

Unread postby jbfiles » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:51 pm

I need some help. I'm new to this whole process, My son is an addict and he almost died from overdose of pills. I'm trying to figure out how and when there are na/aa/al-anon /alateen groups that our family can attend in the area so we all can be at which ever meeting is for us. ex. son at aa/na meetings me at al-anon or nar-anon and my daughter at alateen. I don't know where to begin my search every place I look doesn't have my area.jbfiles3667
jbfiles

Return to Family and Friends - Drug Addiction