my wonderful husband

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

my wonderful husband

Unread postby gaylejames3 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:04 am

I am married to a wonderful man. We have been together for over 20 years. He was the answer to my dreams. When we met he drank, I really did not. However, much of our courtship involved us bar hopping and of course drinking. In 1996 he had a DUI and went to rehab. He stopped drinking. Primarily because another DUI would have him without a license for 1 year. He needed his license to keep his job.

Well, he retired 3 years ago. No threat of employment loss, he began to drink again. He does not know how to socialize without alcohol. And when I am not drinking with him he wants to know why. When I say I"m not in the mood, he says I'm no fun. It has not excellerated into any argument or disagreement, but ....

On to the present. He was involved in his 2nd DUI just a day ago. By the grace of GOD he did not hurt himself or anyone else. His Cadillac that he loves so much is "jacked". He feels ashamed, embarrassed and he is aware that this will affect our future. We purchased our retirement home in the south. We go back and forth. No license, no going south.

Since yesterday, I have been talking with family and found out that members of the family have been concerned about him. When I am not with him, they feel he drinks and should not be drinking and driving.

Am I in denial, I know I have been an enabler...this will stop...he can choose the alcohol or our marriage. We will discuss this tonight. I would like us both to attend AA meetings.

Wish me luck...my marriage is worth saving. I hope it means that much to him.

The Enabler
gaylejames3

Re: my wonderful husband

Unread postby Barbie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:43 am

I wish you all the prayers and luck.... Be strong!! :)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:43 am.
Barbie

Return to New to Recovery?