Trying again after being out for years

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Trying again after being out for years

Unread postby Roncv26 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:09 pm

;
Last edited by Roncv26 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roncv26

Re: Trying again after being out for years

Unread postby robertoZ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:26 pm

Welcome. Going to a meeting today?
robertoZ

Unread postby Roncv26 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:45 pm

I think I should.
Roncv26

Unread postby robertoZ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Yes. A meeting a day will keep the booze away.

http://www.sepennaa.org/meetings.asp
robertoZ

Unread postby abclimo » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Ron: I agree with Roberto, definitely meetings and network with others in recover so you can call someone BEFORE you use or drink. As far as the anxiety goes, I know so many addicts (drug or alcohol) self-medicate and later find out that they were using their addiction to help overcome the anxiety they were feeling, not for the actual high. Talk to your doctor, about your anxiety, they can sometimes prescribe something that will not be addictive, but can help with the anxiety to make your life manageable. A lot of it you'll need to do on your own and meetings are a great place to start that. I know some people who go to meetings everyday, or multiple times a day to help stay clean and sane. Try different meeting locations, some will feel better to you than others and you'll feel more comfortable to talk to people about what you are feeling. When you go to a meeting, if you are not comfortable sharing, just listen. You'll be amazed at what you can learn, eventually you'll be ready to raise your hand and share. You'll hear people who have lots of years clean, as well as those just getting clean. You can stay clean, if there are so many people who have been clean for so long, obviously the programs work. Just take it a day at a time, or sometimes an hour or minutes at a time. You need to tell yourself you can do it and you are worth it.
abclimo

Unread postby Roncv26 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:21 pm

;
Last edited by Roncv26 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roncv26

Unread postby abclimo » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:58 pm

Ron: Congrats on your 30 days, WOO HOO!!!! That's a huge accomplishment. You've made it this far, just keep going and stay clean and sober, you can keep doing it!!!!
abclimo

Unread postby robertoZ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:34 pm

NICE! Keep doing what you're doing, odaat!
robertoZ

Unread postby HG7 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:22 am

i suffered from bad paranoia and mania for years. when i got sober the first time, i went to the doctor and was prescribed many bipolar meds. i suffered much anxiety but really it was from my body getting used to life with out drugs /alcohol. after a couple months i felt alot better . so becareful when it comes to mood stabilizers and and drugs but for sure talk to a doctor.
it took a while for me to finally get off the meds but i did it. also when feeling anxious if possible be around people working the program or your sponsor and try and hit some meeting . I found sometimes it helps . make sure to plug in
God bless
HG7

Unread postby Roncv26 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:18 pm

'
Last edited by Roncv26 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roncv26

Unread postby abclimo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:25 pm

Ron: Welcome back! Congrats and Woo Hoo on your 60 day mark! That is a huge accomplishment, keep going, soon you'll be at 90! Way to go!
abclimo

Unread postby sober on spruce » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:30 pm

What a miracle to have 18 days!!! I had severe anxiety, fear and panic attacks constantly in early recovery and was terrified that I would always feel that way. Hang on and take one day at a time. Go to as many meetings as possible, read AA literature, pray, talk to sober people and sponsor, make sure you eat and TRUST that you will get through this. Even if you do have an underlying anxiety disorder, there is no way to get help with it if you are not sober. It's been my experience that the feelings you are describing will gradually get better over time but one thing is for sure: If you drink/use that will make it worse...Much worse. Don't quit before the miracle happens. You're in my prayers.
sober on spruce

Unread postby il cortile » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:46 am

congratulations, ive been sober6 days and on my 3rd day sober i had a panic attack in the middle of the nite. thought i was having a heart attact. i was anxious and scared for days after my last binge. i feel better now and i hope u do
il cortile

Unread postby abclimo » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:08 am

Congrats to all on your clean/sober time! You all deserve a big woo hoo. The anxiety and fear can be almost overwhelming sometimes. It's funny, once you are clean/sober and can think clearly, you can realize so many things about your using. For me, it was looking back and seeing that I was covering anxiety and not wanting to deal with feelings. Hang on everyone, it does get better, the most important thing is NOT to use/or pick up that first drink. Do anything you can to avoid it, go for a walk, read, watch television, post here, call someone, but do it all before you give in to your impulses. We can all do this together, one day at a time. I know in the beginning for me to think about not using for a large block of time was overwhelming, but breaking it down into an hour, 15 minutes, or even a minute at a time, was very helpful. Congrats to all on your journeys, it's amazing where it will take you.
abclimo

Unread postby FreeRadical » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:00 pm

I'm a newbie to this site and this is my first post. Congratulations, OP -- it's wonderful to see such warmth and encouragement on this forum.
FreeRadical

Next

Return to New to Recovery?