24hrs sober

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

24hrs sober

Unread postby 1daat » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:33 am

Woke up today after first aa mtg last night and didn't open a can of beer. I feel better already and am looking forward to a productive day w/o alcohol. I know that there will be temptations, but have phone #'s from last night if needed - hope not. Counseling appt. today and another aa mtg tonight. If I don't seek help now, then when ?
1daat

Re: 24hrs sober

Unread postby abclimo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:20 pm

1daat: Hi and welcome! Congrats on not opening the beer! You have taken a huge step towards getting sober. You are very realistic because you know that there will be temptations and that you're prepared to call people to help you through. It's great that you are seeking help and taking it seriously. Just keep going to meetings and doing counseling. It's amazing when you uncover things in your life that trigger you to drink. Unfortunately most of us drink/drug to self medicate for things we don't want to deal with or feel and it's important to uncover what's going on deeper so you can deal with it and begin recovery. Recovery is huge, it's so much more than just staying sober. You know you can do this, you just have to tell yourself that you are worth it and keep taking it a day at a time. Tell yourself you won't drink today. If a whole day is too much to take on, just say I won't drink this hour, and then take it another hour or even minutes at a time. Congrats and keep on posting!
abclimo

Return to New to Recovery?