Hello

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Hello

Unread postby Christoph » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:47 pm

My name is Christoph and I intend to start going to AA/sobriety meetings. I'm 36 and I live in South Philly. I am so glad I found the sobrietyonline.org resource and I wish I'd found it sooner. I've basically recognized the fact that I cannot fool myself into thinking that I can safely drink. One drink becomes 2 and 2 becomes 3 and so on until I pass out or am out of "adult beverage". It sucks! My wish is to embrace a sober lifestyle to save my own life, restore my health and creativity. I'm a writer, a musician, and an artist. Alcohol is draining my creative abilities and deteriorating my social life.

So I've found a good list of meeting places and times in the area and that's a good start that I feel really good about. I feel really good about communicating with people through this forum. Of course, I feel a little anxious, a little skittish, but I guess that's natural. New beginnings are usually a bit hard.

I don't want to drink anymore and I need to find like-minded friends and establish a new support system.

I took my first drink on my 15th birthday, yet I didn't become a "recreational" drinker until I was about 24. In the past 2 years, my drinking has become an every-other-day affair, after I was assaulted and robbed. It ends now! I've been seeing good counselors and my next step is attending regular meetings.

Thanks for reading.

Peace.
Christoph

Re: Hello

Unread postby Guest » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:23 am

Hey Chris,

Way to go realizing you have changes you want to make. Me too. I look at you and I consider you lucky. I am almost 54, you are 36. You have lots of time to have a wonderful clean life. Go for it!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:23 am.

Return to New to Recovery?