Being chastized at an AA meeting

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Being chastized at an AA meeting

Unread postby Hemi300 » Sat May 31, 2014 6:19 pm

I was at an AA meeting and was so disappointed to watch some members that where clearly in the program for over a year, embarrass a newly sober member who was at this meeting for the first time. It was clear that she was very upset, insulted and appeared to have left the meeting. I was happy to see that she had the guts to come back after the break, and many women rallied around her!!!
I just think a little more sensitivity to newly sober members who may not know the exact etiquette of how a meeting works should not be pointed out and embarrassed!

You never know what that person may be dealing with and to create an atmosphere that many people where upset by what happened is just not was AA is all about.

There was one woman who really came to her defense and I am sure that is why she felt the strength to come back.

Kudos to you E.G. :D
Hemi300

Re: Being chastized at an AA meeting

Unread postby Ann onymous » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:58 am

Understand this post completely. I was never so embarrassed when 150 members yelled "whoa whoa whoa" as I went to put up my chair because I had not seen that everyone had joined hands. Will never go to another "meeting" Asa long as I live.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:58 am.
Ann onymous

Return to New to Recovery?