Starting out...

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Starting out...

Unread postby Surfin79 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:11 pm

My name is Noah, and I'm 34 years old. Up until a few months ago I hadn't had a drink since 2009. However, a few months ago I convinced myself I had everything under control, and I could kick back and have a drink with friends without letting it get out of control. I was wrong.
I started heading right down the same old path as before where my drinking became the priority, and starting getting out of control again. Previously, all plans were planned around my drinking, I even became anxious at the thought of not having enough alcohol... in short, it began to take over my life.
Clearly, it isn't under control and I'm starting to think that maybe an AA group would help me control/manage the issue. As I've never been to, or participated in anything like this I had a couple of questions I was hoping somebody could help me with.
1) Is there a good/recommended group for for 1st timers in the Conshohocken or King of Prussia area on a Monday or Tuesday?
2) What can I expect as a first timer, new to a group?
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and/or answer this...
Surfin79

Re: Starting out...

Unread postby Lis0103 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:55 am

Hi Noah,
I just went to my first meeting on Saturday. I am from Delaware County so I can't really recommend any meetings near you. I'm 6 days sober. I've went to 2 different meetings. I enjoyed one more than the other. I was very nervous, but once I went I felt so much better and more hopeful. You can go to any meeting. You don't have to speak if you do not want to or feel comfortable. My first meeting I only introduced myself and listened. My second I did speak a little bit, but not too much because I didn't have much experience with what was being discussed. I really feel that they are helping me. I would definitely say go. Good luck to you and stay sober :)
P.S. Here's what info I have from my meeting book
King of Prussia:
Monday:
7am: Upper Merion Baptist Church 585 General Steuben Road
12 noon: Church of Christ 590 W. Valley Forge Rd
7:30pm: Good Shepherd Lutheran Church 132 E Valley Forge Rd

Tuesday:
All the same as Monday except the 7:30pm meeting is at 590 W Valley Forge Rd

There's no actual meetings in Conshohocken, but there are a bunch in surrounding areas. Hope this helps :D
Lis0103

Return to New to Recovery?