Are AA meetings only for alcohol?

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Are AA meetings only for alcohol?

Unread postby Braids » Sun May 06, 2018 6:07 am

In TX AA is for any kind of substance abuse/addiction but from browsing in PA it seems that they all specify for alcohol. I have some issues mainly bad anxiety and depression. I smoke weed and it is what works for me. I have been thinking about trying something else so I don't have to worry about the legality of it or a ua for a better job but I don't really want to take any prescription meds I feel I am better off handling my problems on my own than to take something with so many side effects or that will change who I am. I know I could get a medical card but I can't afford the cost of that and there is always the threat of loosing rights because of the card. I started dating this woman recently and she has PTSD and her trigger is weed. I haven't and wouldn't smoke around her and she says she is ok with it but she is concerned over it. I want to quit for her. I can deal with my PTSD and my insomnia and without my anxiety I think I could handle the depression. Most of my depression is because my anxiety causes me to over think things and create issues in my head that aren't really issues. . I have gotten good at resolving those issues over the years but that's so rough to always have a battle in your head... I am going to try some cbd gummies I have a friend whose wife doesn't smoke and has anxiety they have worked for her. My absolute last resort is a doctor... I am just hoping that maybe a meeting might help me figure out how to handle my feelings better. I rarely get high I smoke a little throughout the day but yeah there is the slight buzz. I tried cbd oil before and it did work a little but just a little. I am worried a little that the cbd gummies won't work or even that they do work but I won't realize it without the buzz and if that is the case then yes I do recognize it as an addiction....
Braids

Return to New to Recovery?