I need someone to tell me I am not here all alone

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

I need someone to tell me I am not here all alone

Unread postby jjudopaul@aol.com » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:37 am

Hi, I am an alchoholic...have been for several years...I do only drink on nights and weekends...I work two jobs and thank God do it well, one is a career and the other is supplementing my single mother thing.....

I have been in out patient rehab, have attended meetings, not recently though, but actually look at the meeting schedule almost every day and swear I am going to a meeting, but never get there because I am too busy.....I have actually drove to meetings recently but got very scared because there were too many cars.....I have cut myself off from family and friends, of course my 13 year old son knows my problems which causes him problems....I am a single mother....

I have made an appointment with my physician to get a drug to stop my madness....I feel good about that ....

I need someone to tell me I am not here all alone....or yell at me and set me straight.......
jjudopaul@aol.com

Re: Alternatives to AA

Unread postby Guest » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:31 am

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!! And you are on the right track. Making an appointment with your physician is the way to go. Keep us posted on your progress.

Re: I need someone to tell me I am not here all alone

Unread postby Guest » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:38 pm

jjudopaul@aol.com wrote:Hi, I am an alchoholic...have been for several years...I do only drink on nights and weekends...I work two jobs and thank God do it well, one is a career and the other is supplementing my single mother thing.....

You are not alone. Approximately 10% of the population will experience alcohol abuse or dependence. Every 10th person you meet today is in a similar situation.

In my experience controlled drinking does not work. Alcohol is a depressant. Do you want to be depressed? Your judgment and emotions are clouded if you even drink a little. I liken it to the movie "Awakening" with Robin Williams and Robert De Niro. Where De Niro is in a catatonic state until one day he wakes up and enjoys life and all it's beauty. You need to be clean to wake up.

I am glad you made an appointment with your physician. Let him prescribe medication that will help you, don't self medicate, especially a depressant like alcohol. I have found medications like Welbutron or Lexapro seem to help ease the stress.

Try sobriety just for a day.... each day

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:38 pm.

Return to New to Recovery?