Meetings for younger people

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Meetings for younger people

Unread postby danger maus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:00 pm

I'm new to sobriety. I used to think I was jut a binge drinker who needed to get a handle on myself....until I was detained last week for public intoxication and disorderly conduct. I don't even remember half of it, just that I lost my cell phone and stupidly just wandered off to look for it instead of getting in the car with my friends to go home. I think that was the wake up call I finally needed that this really is out of hand and I have a problem. I know I've had a problem all along but I guess this is the time I'm finally acknowledging it. It doesn't help that I've had 2 DUI's in the past 4 years and that people who've only met me briefly seem to only remember me as "that girl who really likes to drink". I finally just decided I've had enough of that. I want to have fun when I go out and actually remember it the following morning. I also don't want to wake up and have to worry I did something stupid the night before and can't recall it.

The only thing that makes me nervous is that my boyfriend drinks, and he does like to go to bars. He's supporting me in my non-drinking, but I don't know how easy it will be for me to go places where we used to hang out and drink....and not do it. It's going to be extremely awkward. I'm not sure how to get around that yet, and would honestly prefer to avoid the whole bar scene for awhile. At least until I'm 100% used to this new lifestyle. And that's what it really is to me, a total lifestyle change. I can't do the same stuff I used to or go the same places.. It's going to be strange for awhile. Until I get a new routine/lifestyle established. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also scared and nervous, mostly because of the unknown. I know my life will improve, but it's still scary.

I've been going to meetings a few times a week and I'm just looking for that one meeting where I really just feel comfortable. I'm 26 years old and I've noticed around my area (Gilbertsville) that there aren't that many young people going to meetings I've been at. Can anyone advise me on a good meeting where the majority of the crowd is under 40? Nothing against older folks, but I just don't really relate to most of them. I really want to stick to this, but I feel like if I have no one to relate to I may end up drinking again. I've gotten a couple phone numbers from people but I have anxiety and am not good at just calling people, even if they've told me to. I'm just funny like that. I'd rather get to know someone a bit first beforehand.

Anyway I hope this wasn't too rambly and someone can help me out.
danger maus

Re: Meetings for younger people

Unread postby formerly martinimel » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:53 pm

Hey... I am not sure where that is? What area are you near? I am 33 and definitely can relate to wanting to find meetings that are younger. I have found a few meetings in my area (I live in Haverford) that are a pretty good mix of people. But I do agree that the ones that are mostly older are harder for me to feel a part of... or relate to. I am totally new to this whole thing as well... and in fact I am still working on "step 1". It's been really hard, especially since I have a house at the beach with a bunch of partiers who I fit right in with just a few weeks ago!

I have had SEVERAL of those bad nights that you were describing, and just finally got it one day after a long weekend of drinking and partying and doing stupid things!I'm not really sure how people communicate back and forth on this site.. but I would say get in touch :)

And good luck with finding a better meeting near you! Let me know how far you are from Haverford...
formerly martinimel

Unread postby lal09 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi there,
I just joined this site today and saw this posting. I was actually hoping to find a meeting with a younger crown. I am 27 and live in the Manayunk/Roxborough area. I need help and dont even know where to start.

Any suggestions?
lal09

Unread postby rainbowrunaway » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:02 pm

It's great that you are looking for meeting for younger people! Meetings can be frustrating for me and I'm in my 40's - so imagine how much harder it is when so many people at meetings are older. I hope you keep trying and connect with people who respond - get together for big book studies and strengthen those bonds, your connections will grow.
rainbowrunaway

Unread postby rocketman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:29 pm

I'm decidedly part of the older crowd... I think one thing that happens is that some of us are slow learners, and we're already older when we get to our first meeting; that was my case anyway. So, congratulations on recognizing a problem early, and I can say from my experience (3+ years) that it does keep getting better.
I'd recommend visiting as many different meetings as you can. They all are different, and the mix changes as time goes by. I think there are some "young person" meetings around Phila., but I can't recall specifically. I know the Narberth midday meeting is big enough to have quite a mix of folks, depending on which day it is. I also remember some 20 - 30 year olds when I was attending 4th & Pine.

Keep coming back...
rocketman

Unread postby yeksim » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:33 pm

West Chester has lots of young people, it is where I got clean at 21. Tuesday nights at 7pm at Fennario coffee shop there is a smoking meeting that has mostly young people and the late group at the 307 clubhouse has lots of young people as well. That starts at 11pm on Friday nights
yeksim

Unread postby truluvhappens4me » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:14 pm

Hey my name is Amanda i am a drug addict and alcaholic and i live in sayre.... i havent went to any meetings yet because i just moved here on saturday. I am only 20 years old and i would really like a meeting that had people aroound my age.... I just dont feel comfortable around someone much older then me... i would like to know that there are people my age out there that has the same problem that i can relate to and make some friends... i dont know this area at all or no how to get to meetings... i dont drive and i dont have a licence... i live not to far from the dandys and the hospital.... if someone could help me... I do have someone who knows where the meetings are and hes willing to help me out as much as he can... but i am really scared and nervious any options out there for me?
truluvhappens4me

Unread postby charloo22 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:07 pm

hello
charloo22

Unread postby abclimo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:02 am

Hi Charloo and welcome. All you said was hello, but it's a start. If you are looking for meetings with younger people, could you tell us what area you are in, so we can give you some suggestions? Definitely find some meetings and try them out, they are definitely not all the same and some are much warmer and welcoming than the others. Find the meetings you feel the most comfortable at and go and share where you are at and what you are feeling, no one will judge you, they've been in worse places than you have. Keep posting here online, I think it definitely helps a lot. You can get and stay clean, it isn't easy, but can be done. You'll feel so much better after you do. :D
abclimo

Return to New to Recovery?