Moving to Philadelphia

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Moving to Philadelphia

Unread postby liatg » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:03 pm

Dear all.

I am moving to Philadelphia from Birmingham for work.

I am not a native Alabamian but I did get sober here. I've lived in 14 different states. (we alcholics like to move at a moment's notice....) I know very little about Philadelphia and I am freaking out about leaving my sober home. I would love to get in touch with some other sober women who I could meet when I get there.

My sobriety date is 5/28/07. I'm 35. I like going out to eat, music, art, tattoos, science fiction, suspense thrillers.... I'm pretty high energy and I love being sober and am exited to meet new sober mischief makers in my new home. I should be moving to Philly in May.

So please write back!

Liat
liatg

Re: Moving to Philadelphia

Unread postby littlejerry » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:17 pm

Welcome to our amazing city!!! You will love it! I am a 37 yr old woman high energy, creative, love the arts...I am new to this though working through starting to get sober but am determined and have been searching for some good souls to help me. Stay in touch:)
littlejerry

Unread postby seinfeld7 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:35 pm

Hey there!!! I tried to reply not sure if went thru so again welcome and would love to offer support:)
seinfeld7

Unread postby lilmom583 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:49 pm

Welcome!!!! I moved to Philly from Florida approx 6mo ago, and out of depression (I am a native floridian) from leaving my family, friends, etc I began to drink heavily. I am still trying to get sober, and am going to my first mtg tomorrow. My husband also drinks so it makes it very challenging. I am in your situation, in a strange place with no friends or support system. I pray that I can find some sober friends. Keep us posted and maybe we can all meet up one day and have a sober fun day, or evening.
lilmom583

Unread postby Leeann » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Wow, it must be so hard from you moving here from so far away. I know a little about culture shock and had gone through it by simply moving from Philadelphia to its suburbs. I also understand what it's like to be further away from what you're familiar with. I was able to cure my lonliness with alcohol, but have learned that the alcoholism was the cause of it.

Do you know where you will be living? Are you going to be close to Center City? There are many things that will hold your interest given the list you provided. I hope you are able to fill the void with the many adventures that living in the city offers you.

The best of luck on your move!
Leeann

Return to New to Recovery?