Help Please :(

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Help Please :(

Unread postby bobbyt118 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:37 pm

My husband is a alcholic and I don't know what to do....It is killing our family and he doesn't want to get help! I just found out he is drinking at work...I have tried everything to understand the addiction but can't. Does anyone have any advice for me???
bobbyt118

Re: Help Please :(

Unread postby jhnstewart » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Im sorry to hear about your problem I remember putting my wife through the same thing, and I held her prisoner for a long time, but you have to live and enjoy your life, I would suggest going to a few alnon meetings, and learning how to live your life we only decide to make a change when life is so horrible that we make a decision that we our powerless over alcohol, I was alcoholic of the hopeless variety and I only changed because I was sick of living with myself alcohol is only a sympton of what is really wrong we are self-centered and selfish people that suffer from a spiritual malady that only God or higherpower can fix, I suggest praying for your husband to hope he gets better.God Bless you
jhnstewart

Unread postby teddy7 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:11 pm

i believe you should definitely find an al-anon meeting. my husband goes to them because of my alcoholism problems. i actually have 9 clean months but never could have accomplished them without going through a detox program and out patient...plus attending lots of meetings, having a sponsor and working a program. the support of AA has given me the gift of a new life and al anon has been of tremendous help to my husband. good luck and god bless.
teddy7

Unread postby touchdowntom » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:52 pm

I am a recovering alcoholic. 41 year old male, married 15 years, 2 kids & dog. I was much like the person you describe until I went to rehab about a year ago and have been sober ever since. I would be happy to share my experience and suggestions. Email: touchdowntom@verizon.net
touchdowntom

Return to New to Recovery?