non-alcoholic beer

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

non-alcoholic beer

Unread postby CAS#64-17-5 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:17 pm

I recently joined AA about 1 month ago. So far all is going well. Question: can I occasionally have a non-alcoholic beer? I certainly would appreciate your opinions. Thanks
CAS#64-17-5

Re: non-alcoholic beer

Unread postby November_rain » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:11 am

There's really no such thing as beer which is totally free of alcohol, and the so-called non-alcoholic beers can be a problem for people trying to remain sober. In my opinion the best advice is to stay away from anything that's even remotely associated with alcohol.
November_rain

Unread postby vinny b. south philly » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:55 pm

I am not trying to knock you and your question is valid.
Why would you want to drink beer without alcohol.What a waste.
Do not temp yourself.alcohol is waiting to get you back any way it can.
Drinking a nonalcoholic beer is best way to get back into your life.
DONT DO IT DONT DO IT DONT DO IT
Talk to your sponsor go to a meeting and dont drink under any and all causes.
vinny b. south philly

Unread postby kymba » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:24 am

I agree with vinnie and november_rain. There is alcohol in non-alcoholic beer by volume. It tastes nasty. I've tried them when I was pregnant. If you drink it you will only want to drink the "real" stuff. What's the point? I was a beer drinker. I found the best way to stop was not buying it and drinking carbonated soda's or fruit juices. I love Margarita's but not with the alcohol. I buy the mix and enjoy it with club soda or slushed on a hot summer day. Drinking non-alcoholic beer will not work for the buzz you want (yea yea... I loved the taste too) and will only trick your mind into wanting just one real one ~ :?
kymba

Unread postby BC26 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:48 pm

Forget about the non alcoholic beer, and the next time your in a meeting and someone starts sharing and everything they say seems to be painfully true and apply to your life. Ask them to take you through the twelve steps. The Point of AA is to recover from alcoholism, and receive a psychic change. If you follow the directions thoroughly as it is written in the big book with the help of another alcoholic you will not fail. God loves you.
BC26

Unread postby MarkD » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:58 pm

I agree with the above posts, but there is a more important issue at hand. Besides the standard relapse triggers like fatigue, hunger, etc... the biggest is euphoric recall. Yes, the non-alcoholic beer does have a minimal amount of alcohol in it and you should never tempt fate with even a fraction of alcohol the amount is minimal. The real reason is because of the taste and where you are drinking it and with whom. While not being say as good as other beers it still tastes like beer. It has the chance to create euphoric recall. You begin remembering those good old days. Maybe it just starts out with remembering that you had a great time when you were with your old buddies, but then it moves to well it was a good time when you were with your old buddies down at the irish pub. Finally, it moves to yeh the good old days of holding a cold one, etc... Of course what it should trigger is the bottoms or lows that you've hit, the relationships its affected, etc... but it doesn't. No, you cannot have non-alcoholic beer. It is not ok. While I have not been involved in the recovery community in nearly three years I have maintained sobriety by following all the steps, having listened to my home group and sponsor, having read the " Big Book" and others, and not taking any chances. I don't go where I used to go, take any mind altering substances including even antihistamines or decongestants, I am always honest with myself and my family, and I have formulated plans on what to do in case I run into a trigger or situation putting my sobriety into danger. I wouldn't see the purpose of drinking non-alcoholic beer. You probably don't love the taste, and so it would be to take you as close to having alcohol without having it. Takes you much closer to having it.
MarkD

Unread postby crazybaldman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:59 pm

The best way I've heard it said is that, "Non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics." :lol:
crazybaldman

Unread postby kymba » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:26 pm

Crazybaldman ~ that was the best quote I've read today! Thanks for the giggle :mrgreen:

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:26 pm.
kymba

Return to New to Recovery?