Brand New and Need Information

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Unread postby Arlene123 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:02 pm

Hello. I have a problem trying to stop taking Oxycotin. I don't want to go to a rehab and I think I can do it myself if I only had someone walk me through the steps. Most of all I need to know what to say to myself during the difficult times. Does anyone have some advice.
Arlene123

Unread postby Larry G visiting from Tampa Bay » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:51 am

RE ARLENE: "Hello. I have a problem trying to stop taking Oxycotin. I don't want to go to a rehab and I think I can do it myself if I only had someone walk me through the steps. Most of all I need to know what to say to myself during the difficult times. Does anyone have some advice."

Keeping it simple, suggest (if you are not already doing so), get to 12 step mutual support meetings, get a sponsor to walk you through the steps.

More recommendations depend upon: Are you "done"?; Age?; relationship status?; most recent 12 step mutual support group (AA, NA, etc)?; how much oxycodone and/or OxyContin daily on average (pill dose and number of pills daily)?; most recent drink?; other substances (including nicotine)? previous attempts to get clean and sober?; co-occuring disorders (depression, bipolar disorder, suicidal thoughts?)
Larry G visiting from Tampa Bay

Re: Brand New and Need Information

Unread postby Cynthisk46 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:44 am

Arlene123 wrote:Hello. I have a problem trying to stop taking Oxycotin. I don't want to go to a rehab and I think I can do it myself if I only had someone walk me through the steps. Most of all I need to know what to say to myself during the difficult times. Does anyone have some advice.

Hi. Im 26 i live in PA Jun 23rd i celebrated a year. From the Grace ofGod, "my Higher Power"! You can't do this by yourself, you should get a sponsor, homegroup, somewhere you can make a commitment once a week, to just show up. Find a meeting you feel comfortable with that you can get to every week, rasie your hand and say, "you would like to make this your homegroup and you need a sponsor",someone will welcome you. You are the most important person in the room, so its important to share on the floor anything that is on your mind. My advise to you, If you are "powerless" over these drugs and there running your life, and do you feel like you can't live one day without them? Then, its your choice, take my suggestions and get yourself to a meeting and get your hand up. There is a better way to live, my life is all coming back together now, and i know how to live each day without using or drinking. Do you believe in a power greater than yourself? Please if u can let me know, how you are?
Cindy
Cynthisk46

Re: Brand New and Need Information

Unread postby beckyh2000 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:00 pm

my name is becky. I have been clean and sober for 10 yrs. now and my drug of choice was ocs. Weather you can stop on your own depends on several factors. the first being how much you use per day and the route you choose to administer the drug. I could not stop on my own, I had to have help and in order to stay stopped I have to continue to treat my disease every day. AA is what taught me to stay alcohol and drug free. People like to make a big deal out of what program to attend for whatever drug of choice you have. I have found that disease is disease and it doesnt care what you use it just wants you to use so it can kill you ! It also doesnt care if you die physicaly, mentaly or spiritualy, The goal is to destroy you and any chance of a life worth living. I started in detox and continue in AA. It not only saved my life but also my soul. I would go to a meeting, let someone know your position and let them guide you to the begining of the rest of your life. My heart is with you. I was once just like you but Im not anymore and AA is what taught me how. God Bless beckyh2000
beckyh2000

Return to New to Recovery?