Question about Al-Anon Meetings

This forum is for family and friends of people who are addicted to drugs
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Question about Al-Anon Meetings

Unread postby Sunshine1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:12 pm

I am new to this site & I have a loved one who is currently in a 28 day program. He is someone who is not mean or nasty & who does not do drugs everyday, but he does do them often enough to know he cannot stop and that he needed help. His therapist suggested the al-anon meetings for me, that I should go check them out. She led me to believe that they would give me a better understanding of what he is going through and how I can be there for him because an addiction is personal & him opening up to me is unlikely. When I found this site I was excited especially about the forums, I thought it would give me a small peek at what the meetings will be like, but everything on here seems to be about how al-anon meetings help the non-addicts get on with there life and how they help the non-addicts not to worry about those in need. Personally, thats not what I am looking for, I am looking for a better understanding, and how to be supportive in his time of need! If someone who has been to the al-anon meetings could give me some insight I would appreciate it more than you know. :P
Sunshine1

Re: Question about Al-Anon Meetings

Unread postby someones_sister » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 am

I have the same question, basically. My brother, a long term heroin user, is now 6 days clean and out of detox. He says he's willing to go somewhere inpatient for rehab, but we'll see what today brings. I feel like maybe I should go to a meeting, but I have no idea. All I can do at the moment is cry because yesterday he promised me he'd go today, but now he's saying tomorrow. That doesn't sounds good to me. Can anyone tell me about the Al-Anon meetings and whether it would be worth it to go.
someones_sister

Re: Question about Al-Anon Meetings

Unread postby KKE » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:31 am

Al-Anon meetings can be very helpful. What you need to realize is that every meeting is going to be different. If you don't like one meeting, try another until you find a group of people that you "click with" It is a very difficult process to handle alone, which is why the whole concept of recovery is done as a "community." It is definitely worth seeking out a meeting - every small bit of information can be helpful.
KKE

Return to Family and Friends - Drug Addiction