Disease or weakness?

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Disease or weakness?

Unread postby November_rain » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:48 pm

Since the 2 incidents involving the sons of a famous philadelphian, I've heard a lot of people talk about addiction in general.

Is it a disease or a weakness?

If it is a disease, is it an easy way of avoiding any type of responsibility?

What do you think?
November_rain

Disease

Unread postby jststartin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:04 am

Definetly a disease. I think its important to take responsibility, but I also think its important to acknowledge that it is a disease and therefore one must take ownership by accepting that and accepting responsibility for making an effort to help prevent it from killing you. That is why admitting that you are an alcoholic is such an important and difficult step. It is tough to accept responsibility for the fact that you can't control your drinking and that you need help. I'm just doing it, and i certainly take responsibility for mistakes I've made, but understand that efforts to improve on my own have failed so i have to admit that this is something I need faith and support to beat.
jststartin

Unread postby November_rain » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:17 am

That makes sense, and I like how you approach the problem.
What bugs me the most is when I hear people say "Oh well, it's a disease so guess what, take me as I am and don't ask me to feel responsible for my actions." Yeah right.

By the way, this will be the subject of our next online chat (Tuesday, Feb. 13, from 7:30PM to 8:00PM). Stop by if you're available.
November_rain

Registering on the message board

Unread postby Admin » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:37 am

Hi jststartin,

You may want to consider registering on the message board. Once you register your messages no longer need to be approved by a moderator. :D

To register just click the link labeled Register at the the top right of the screen.

Thanks for visiting!
Admin
Site Admin

I Agree

Unread postby jststartin » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:17 pm

I think that not taking responsibility is giving in and giving up. Those who go to AA meetings or admit they have a problem are finally taking ownership for their addicition and taking responsibility for the fact that they have a problem. It is a tough thing to acknowledge. Its interesting that most diseases have a clear diagnosis. If someone went to their doctor and was told they are terminally ill and that they have to make a lifestyle change in order to survive, I think most of the time those people will make an effort to change.

What's interesting is that alcoholism is a terminal disease that is as dibilitating as any other chronic illness. The great thing is that alcoholics have an opporunity to take responsibility for their problem and effect a change in their behaviors in order that they might save their life (whether that be literally or figuratively in terms of "quality of life").

I often try to think about those people who are terminally ill with, fo example, cancer. I think, how would these people feel if they had an opportunity to heal themselves. I am sure many would give an arm and a leg to know that they have an opportunity to heal.

I think as an alcoholic I need to take responsibility in order to better my life, but I also feel an obligation to those who do not have an opportunity to heal.

While the decay caused by alcoholism may be more gradual than that of terminal cancer, the turth is that it is a terminal disease. I have taken ownership for the fact that I can do one of three things continue drinking and die; fight the good fight and die trying; or find my way to wellness. The later are definetly the better options. I think that what makes alcoholism a disease is the fact that the desire for hooch clouds ones ability to implore logic and rational.

Every alcoholic is aware of the fact that their behavior is self-destructive. The thing that makes it a disease is the fact that people don't take "seemingly" logical and rational steps to save themselves.
jststartin

Unread postby November_rain » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:31 pm

You wrote, "... but I also feel an obligation to those who do not have an opportunity to heal."

I have never heard anybody dealing with any addiction say something that powerful. I lost my best friend to cancer 3 years ago, and what you wrote made me feel good. She would have loved to have an opportunity to heal. She would have loved to know that at least one person feels an obligation to those who have no chance of survival.

Thank you for what you wrote.
I wish you continued good health, patience, and succes in your recovery.
November_rain

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion