i need help confronting my alcoholic sister

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

i need help confronting my alcoholic sister

Unread postby VKHelpmysister » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:01 pm

My older sister's serious boyfriend recently called me to talk about my sister. He is worried about her, but fed up with her, and wanted my help. He says she's blacking out once a week, needing a drink after work on a very frequent basis, and getting very out of control, embarrassing herself and her friends, driving drunk, making really poor decisions.

My sister was arrested for a DUI when she was in college...she was court ordered to go into a rehab program and went to meetings on a daily basis for around 8 months to a year. That was back in 2005.

Since then she has been drinking again but in most of my experience she's been under control and having a good time. We've talked about her college problem and she knows she was out of control, but she didn't think she was an alcoholic.

Now her "not being like everyone else" seems to have come back with a vengeance. In front of me, there hasn't been a big problem, but i know from her tendencies that what her bf says is the truth. I think she has a problem.

How do I broach the subject? I just recently moved from where she lives and won't see her for the next 6 months at least. I'm worried about her losing her friends, her boyfriend, her life...I'm also really scared to bring it up. I don't know how to bring it up, whether to tell her that her bf called me, whether to involve my parents. What can I do from far away when I don't have very much first hand experience with her being out of control?
VKHelpmysister

Re: i need help confronting my alcoholic sister

Unread postby Lily » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:50 am

Sounds like she is not happy with either work, boy friend or possibly the fact you moved.

She needs to speak to a counselor I think and ASAP.

I would make a point to call as often as possible and open up about your life regarding the good and bad. Possibly this may

help her to open up more regarding her own problems.
Lily

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism