new here-please help

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

new here-please help

Unread postby camper22 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:59 am

I am so distraught--my son (40) has started drinking again...after 8-9 years...but during that time he did use drugs. He has been clean since 2006. I just don't know what to do?
camper22

Re: new here-please help

Unread postby rfarr » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:41 am

Find a al-anon meeting. Whether he has been clean or not in the past is irrelevant. If you are distraught you deserve the love and fellowship you will find at al anon. My wife is in the fellowship and it is the best thing that ever happend to either of us! GO :D
rfarr

Unread postby madmare525@yahoo.com » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:52 pm

camper22 wrote:I am so distraught--my son (40) has started drinking again...after 8-9 years...but during that time he did use drugs. He has been clean since 2006. I just don't know what to do?

I would take him to a meeting
madmare525@yahoo.com

Unread postby thorobrdgirl1980 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:38 pm

I think it is important to realize... for and him, sobriety is abstinence from alcohol AND drugs. If he stopped using alcohol, bt substituted it with other drugs, he still has never given his body or brain chance to recover from chemical dependency.. just food for thought.
thorobrdgirl1980

Unread postby Marykaite » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:37 pm

thorobrdgirl1980 wrote:
> I think it is important to realize... for and him, sobriety is abstinence
> from alcohol AND drugs. If he stopped using alcohol, bt substituted it with
> other drugs, he still has never given his body or brain chance to recover
> from chemical dependency.. just food for thought.
My daught did the same thing she had a stroke shortly after she was in rehab and now takes pain pills and smoking even though the doctor told her that smoking puts her at ris
Marykaite

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism