It's out of control!!!

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

It's out of control!!!

Unread postby InSearchOf » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:59 pm

I've had enough! I can't take it anymore. My husband has a great job, we have a great family and we have enough material things that we should be happy. I try to be happy but when I see him risking it all by drinking way too much I don't know what to do..

He's starting to drink alot more than he used to and it seems like he doesn't know when to stop. Why would somebody risk something so precious as what we have???

Is there a a pill he take?
InSearchOf

Unread postby November_rain » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:36 am

Hey InSearchOf,
I feel for you... That's what addiction is all about. My husband was an alcoholic, and now I have enough frustration and anger to last me a lifetime... It sucks.
November_rain

LEARNING TO THINK FIRST

Unread postby YOJO1991 » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:33 pm

I AM AN ADDICT . I ALWAYS WILL BE . I CAN VIVIDLY REMEMBER THE DAYS WHEN MY WIFE SAID THE SAME THINGS ABOUT ME HES GOT A GREATJOB, A GOOD HOME AND ALL THE MATERIAL THINGS BUT WHAT I WAS LACKING WAS COURAGE FAITH HONESTY AND THE ABILITY TO PUT SOMEONEELSES WEFARE AND BEING BEFORE MINE . ALL THE THINGS IN THE WORLD COULDNT MAKE UP FOR MY BEHAVIOR ,SELFLESSNESS AND ACTIVE ADDICTION. I HAVENT HAD A DRINK SINCE NOV 2005 HOWEVER ALL THAT HAS DONE IS TO CLEAR MY MIND AND BODY . WE NOW ARE WORKING ON CLEANING UP HE MESS OF EMOTIONS, FAMILY AND LAW PROBLEMS THESE VDAYS WE ARE CAUTIOS OF WHAT WE ASK FOR . LIFE IN A FAMILY WITH AN ADDICT TAKES HONEST, REAL AND HARD WORK . WITH THE UNDESTANDING THAT IT MAY OR MAY NOT GET BETER TOGETHER. MAY GOD CONTINUE TO WATCH CARE AND REVEALTO YOU ALL THE WONDERS THAT HE CAN IM NOT A CRAZY CHURCH GOER BUT I BELIEVE SOMEONE HAS CARED, HELDUS AND CONTINUOSLY DELIVERS US THROUGH OUR TROUBLING TIMES GOD BLESS YOU PLEASE
YOJO1991

Unread postby Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks for your insight. Right now, my husband is in his last wk of outpatient rehab and doing well. We are once again enjoying a calm, peaceful family life. But how long will it last? and can we pick up the pieces & hold it together? Right now, for me the difficult part is not knowing what our future will be. Before he started rehab & AA, I had finally resigned myself to taking the kids & leaving a 20 yr marriage. We had hit the point where I couldn't live with the drinking anymore & he couldn't live without it. Now, he has sought help & is attempting to make positive changes in his life. I am supportive & happy for him, but I'm not sure if we can repair the emotional damage that has occurred through all of this. For now though, I'm hanging in there. If we can salvage what we've got, it's worth a try.

Unread postby Guest » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:40 pm

Yes, it's worth a try. You have the right attitude, and your husband seems to be doing whatever it takes to get better. We all take one day at a time, and nothing is for sure (whether you live with an addict or not). But the experience is worth it, no matter what.

Re: It's out of control!!!

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:47 am

InSearchOf wrote:I've had enough! I can't take it anymore. My husband has a great job, we have a great family and we have enough material things that we should be happy. I try to be happy but when I see him risking it all by drinking way too much I don't know what to do..

He's starting to drink alot more than he used to and it seems like he doesn't know when to stop. Why would somebody risk something so precious as what we have???

Is there a a pill he take?

Treat him like he is the best, that may suprise him!

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:44 am

Treat him like he is the best, that may suprise him!

Have you ever tried? It's not easy to treat someone like he or she is the best when they're so gone they don't even remember who they are. Please do share your experience though using this strategy.

Husband has a drinking problem and is ready for help

Unread postby help4me » Tue May 08, 2007 12:28 pm

My husband has gradually been drinking more since Thanksgiving. This past Saturday I believe was his rock bottom. He called me names, told me he doesn't love me and broke furniture in our house. I took my 8 week old soon and left. I came back the next day and of course he didn't remember anything that happened the night before.
I told him I need to know that this would never happen again and he said whatever it takes, he'll do. We have a great relationship when he isn't drinking.
Today is Tuesday and he hasn't had a drink since Saturday.

How can I get him to go to a meeting? Is there a way to bring this up without actually coming right out and asking him. I called Al-Annon and they told me that he has to want it, and I'm pretty sure he does.

His uncle is recovering and is willing to be his sponser.

Please give me some advice.

Thanks
help4me

Unread postby Guest » Tue May 08, 2007 12:49 pm

Ask his uncle to talk to him. Your husband will probably feel more comfortable discussing his drinking problem with his uncle (he may feel threatened if you're the one addressing the situation).

And in the meantime. go to al-anon and get help. Being called names and seeing your furniture going to pieces is unacceptable. Next time he may hit you and/or your son. The fact that he hasn't had a drink since Saturday DOES NOT MEAN HE'S CURED. He's sick, and he needs proper help to fight his disease.

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism