My road toward recovery

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

My road toward recovery

Unread postby trippin.n.fallen » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:17 pm

Hello,
My name is Al, and I am an alcoholic/addict. I have struggled with this sometimes overwhelming and tricky disease for quite a while. I have been down the path of recovery before, a long time ago, but it wasn't my time. My struggle to overcome the problematic behaviors of my disease have led me back into the open arms of AA. I attended my first few meetings this week and found a sponser who really seems like he'll be a big help in my recovery. When I was younger, a teenager, it didn't seem right that people were forcing this label on me. That I had some problem that would affect me for the rest of my life. I'm 28 yrs old now, and what I've come to realize is this. It did not matter that I was young. It did not matter that I didn't think I was an alcoholic or an addict. I am what I am, and maybe its Gods Will I am what I am. Use of alcohol or drugs has never been amusing or rewarding for me. Its always been a world of uncertainty and regret, yet insanely I pressed on with the same results.
I am thankful for the path I can see in front of me, even if I can't see it clearly for what it is, and what it could be. I am in a safe place for my recovery to begin, and I'm really looking forward to starting the twelve steps(which I'm aware can be a lifelong process). I hope to frequent this website with my program updates, and hope if anyone out there wants to comment or chat they can feel free.
trippin.n.fallen

Re: My road toward recovery

Unread postby Guest » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:55 pm

Kudos to you, Al! Staying sober is a major challenge, but it sounds like you are definitely up to it and ready to fight the disease. Please share your experience if you feel like it. A lot of people don't want to write but enjoy reading others. You can give them hope. Your recovery will be their recovery. Thanks for sharing.

Re: My road toward recovery

Unread postby jamiew » Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Hey Al:

I certainly would like to read how your doing in the program. I am newly sober as well and I certainly would like to see how others are doing so please
do share, and I wish you the best.
Jamie
jamiew

Return to New to Recovery?