I really need help.

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

I really need help.

Unread postby jjc77120 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Last night I realized that I need help with my drinking. It has gotten way out of control. My family will probably disown me cause of my drinking. It caused a huge fight and they basically told me to get lost. I need to get help and I'm not really sure how it works. I know going to a meeting will be helpful, but when you live alone and all I really want to do to escape reality is to drink. I totally need to get help before things get even worse or I end up getting hurt. Hopefully the Conshohocken meetings will help.
jjc77120

Re: I really need help.

Unread postby Guest » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:34 pm

Def get to a meeting. Say what you just wrote. You will be offered help.

Unread postby know the feeling » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:52 am

Hi definitely can relate, as everyone at the aa meetings can. Everyone there is going through the same thing - great insights - i've gone twice already - really didnt want to be there at all, feel horrible, but i really want to feel better, and cant do that if i keep up my disgusting daily drinking, keep drinking more and more - alienating myself from family, friends - afraid i might not be able to continue with my hobbies - I want to really live again and be present to this life - I hope God helps me. you should go to a meeting even though its really hard to walk in there the first time- you dont have to say a word, just listen
know the feeling

Unread postby BklynChik » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 pm

Trust me, I understand. Probably all of us here do! There's always a reason to drink--living alone, living with others, work, kids, bills, sadness, happiness, etc. But there is no reason that is good enough to warrant continuing to hurting yourself. Someone recently told me drinking is like an elevator. You can take it all the way to the bottom and end up in the street, losing everything you have or you can get off at one of the higher floors and start walking back up.

You've made an amazing first step, to admit you have an issue. The next step is to get to a meeting and let them know you're new. Get phone numbers. Start calling others who have a problem. And when you feel the need to drink, call those people. When I started I was told to not worry how it works, just keep going to meetings.

Get to a meeting today, no matter what. And keep going back!
BklynChik

Return to New to Recovery?