Do Al-Anon meetings help?

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Do Al-Anon meetings help?

Unread postby Cornerstone123 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:17 am

I have been in a relationship for a year and a half with an addict. His ex-girlfriend has been a nightmare for the last year and a half and he has let her. He cant shut the door and leaves things vague with her because he loves her child. She is addicted to him. She actually was suicidal last Monday and had a "Gold Alert" out for her with the police.

When she was "found" actually, she called someone and told them she was safe, the only person she gave her address to was my boyfriend. Obviously in hopes he would come save her.

I dont know if he can shut the door but I am trying to get myself to a point where I am not taking all of this personally and realizing that they are co-dependent people.

All of the stress has made me start to drink more to just "numb" myself from all of the stress. I am pulling back on the drinking but
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on Al-Anon and has it helped you to understand you are not the reason nor can you save this person?

I love my boyfriend and I want to make this work. But I need to first learn some coping skills and better understand what addiction is.

Please let me know if you have any advice.

Thank you!
Cornerstone123

Re: Do Al-Anon meetings help?

Unread postby VINCEFROMPHILLY » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:11 am

Yes they do! You failed to mention if your BF is an active addict or in recovery. Ditto his ex. It's good you recognize the fact that you're drinking too much. Find an Al-Anon meeting and go today. You will get some much needed support, and probably meet someone who has had very similar experiences. You might also want to attend an AA meeting. Drinking to "numb" is not good. You can decide for yourself if you need help with your drinking. One thing that seems certain, is that if you are trying to get your BF sober alone, you will be an alcoholic before he gets sober. Try prayer. Even if you don't believe, pray in disbelief. Good luck, and I'll pray for you.
VINCEFROMPHILLY

Return to New to Recovery?