Help for a friend

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Help for a friend

Unread postby lisa7373 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi, I am looking for some direction on how to help a very good friend of mine who is an alcoholic. He does not want professional help right now, but his drinking is getting out of control. He is circling the drain so to speak and I want to be able to help him to the best of my ability. Another friend of mine recommended that I go to an AA meeting to learn about helping him, since I myself am not addict and I don't understand everything he is going thru. I really love my friend and am desperate to give him any help I can. Is it possible for me to come to an AA meeting alone for this purpose?
lisa7373

Re: Help for a friend

Unread postby RDM00613 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:09 am

It will never hurt to go to AA meeting. There you can pick up AA pamphlets or an AA "Big Book." There are a couple chapters in there that apply to you called "To Wives," "The Family Afterward," and even "To The Employers." It may not sound like they apply, but there is a wealth of information that anyone dealing with alcoholic can utilize to be of maximum service. There is some clear cut directions on what to do about someone who is an alcoholic. If you go to a meeting you may be find someone who is willing to talk to your friend, because the best people to get through to alcoholics is another alcoholic. It is why AA was started. Outside of that, there is not much you can do. The person is going to have to want to stop. Interventions and your emotional appeals will do very little good if he is a true alcoholic. If you simply place the literature in front of him, chances are he will not be receptive to it. Again, this is why I stress you pick up the AA "Big Book" and read those chapters it outlines. Hope that helps and G-d Bless.
RDM00613

Re: Help for a friend

Unread postby BklynChik » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:03 pm

While I'm all for going to an AA meeting as I think it is great to hear from people who are recovering, I think the place to go for you might be Al-Anon. Al-Anon is specifically setup to support those who are affected by others who are drinking. I would talk to the chair at the meeting about the problem with your friend and see what they say.

If you also want to go to an AA meeting, then just make sure it's an open meeting as the closed meetings are for those who have a problem with alcohol.

My suggestion to you is to keep in mind that unless your friend has a desire to stop drinking, you may not be able to help. Unfortunately everyone has their own path to walk when deep in the trenches of the disease. Either way though, I'd definitely check out Al-Anon so it will at least give you peace of mind and soul.
BklynChik

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism