need to change

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

need to change

Unread postby Bree » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi, my name is Bree. I'm 17 years old. I don't know how i've even come to be on this website. Before i knew it i was a 17 year old drug addict. The last thing i ever thought i'd hear myself say. I have a serious addiction problem with benzos and opiates. I kept my addiction a secret for a while, only sharing with my few "friends" who would indulge with me, and the people who i was buying the drugs from. My real friends found out and gave me a real wake up call. I have been trying to stay clean for the past week, not completely successful. I know i have a problem which is a start, but i dont know what to do from here. I feel alone in all of this, no matter how many people tell me they are there for me. All i can ever think about is getting high, and i feel as though i can't continue my life without drugs. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bree

Re: need to change

Unread postby kenW » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:00 pm

hey, i was in the same boat as you two months ago. all i could do was think about opiates until i got my hands on them. i decided i had enough and checked myself into a rehab. i been clean for two months and i feel great, better than i have felt in a long time. just take it one day at a time and do not think down the road. tell yourself everyday, that just for today i will not use. it sounds dumb but taking it one day at a time goes a long way. NA meetings do help because you are around other people who are in the same boat as you and can give you tons of support. you are not alone out there and all is possible. the first step is knowing you have a problem and if you want to change you definitely will
kenW

Unread postby Guest » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:45 pm

you need to hit up a meeting... those are the kind of people who are goin to steer you in the right direction.. they all want the same thing and they can help you if you want to be helped.. youd be surprised how many young people are there.. just be careful and reach out to the right person who is there for the right reasons.. wouldnt hurt to try its only and hour and a half of your time.. wish ya luck.. your so young .. get it now before it gets harder

Unread postby Got a NEW life » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:02 am

Dear "need to change",
You're already on the the right path, facing in the right direction, that's what got you here to this site. Try both NA and AA meetings. While some AA meetings are really hardcore and REALLY expect you to keep comments to your relationship w/ alcohol, I've heard many a drug user say, that the consistency and support of AA seems 'for them' the most solid, and consistent sobriety. Many in the rooms of AA can also relate, meetings near re-habs or at re-habs where NA'ers or AA'ers come in an provide an meeting are often a bit more flexible about NA comments. It doesn't matter what meeting you go to, but go!

Raise your hand, say your first name, say you're a new comer and you don't know where to turn.
Some of the most profound and amazing help can come to you, simply by telling folks your exact truth, that you know you need to change. They can point you in the right direction.

There are people who can stop using, and drinking w/o support of assistance, but often they are not able to keep with it for long on their own. There are even people who come to meetings daily and try to 'do it alone', this is not an ALONE program. No one can do it for you. Like a swimmer in the ocean drowning, you have to put your hand out in order for anyone to assist you, and like that swimmer, you will have to continue to do your part, do what needs to be done in order to survive.

There is life after drugs and alcohol. There are people who are living wonderful, joyful, happy, balanced lives. You CAN get there too, if you want it enough, if you are willing to take direction, not do it YOUR way, listen and follow direction of someone who is in the program, who has done it, and find meetings you like and keep going, going, going, going!

I wish you all the best.
I don't even know you, but I'm proud of you, and as another person in recovery, I love you for having the courage to take this step to save your own life! Don't give up.

Last word, you will hear a lot of "God" talk in the rooms. It doesn't have to make sense, you don't have to like it, its not a religion, the rooms of NA and AA are filled with people from all walks of life and all belief systems. Don't be fooled into thinking that you have to buy into anyone else's idea of what a higher power is. Mine looked like an old fashioned victorian St. Nick with a large wicker basket on his back for a long time, and God for me isn't even a guy necessarily. I'm just saying, if you having any reaction to the "God" talk, let that go, as soon as possible. People are generally kind, well meaning, and want to help you. They may tell you about what has worked for them, their God (of their understanding) and how that has helped them.
Do not be discouraged. You don't have to believe anything right now, except that you need help, you need to change (by your own words) and you sound ready to do what it takes to find peace.

Good luck to you.

I believe in you, and I don't even know you, but I know that I was once where you are, lost, scared, desperate for a way out of a life that seemed like it was going to kill me.

Call if you like, I'm not NA, but I can and do relate to the human experience of wanting out of stinking thinking and an addictive way of life.

all the best,

Got a New Life aka Dee L. 646-498-6783, Sellersville, PA
Got a NEW life

Unread postby abclimo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:44 am

Bree: I too had a serious opiate addiction, went through detox and now attend NA meetings several times a week. You'll find lots of caring people at the meetings, if you don't get warm and fuzzy at the first one, don't give up, all meetings are different from location to location and the people who attend. There is a barely teenager at the one meeting I go to, so I know there are lots of younger people going to meetings . You did take the first step already, by admitting you have a problem, it took me a very long time to do that. If you have a benze and opiate problem, you should go to a detox center for help, because detoxing from that combo can be very serious. You can do this, you just have to think positive and be positive. It won't be simple, but you have to tell yourself you are worth it.
abclimo

Return to Drug Addiction