Social Network for Teens/Young Adults

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Social Network for Teens/Young Adults

Unread postby YAIR » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:08 pm

My 19 yr old son had almost 6 months clean from cocaine/crack (inpatient primary rehab, then went to an extended after-care center), but within 4 weeks of coming home he picked the wrong 'new' friends, stopped looking forward to meetings, didn't get a new sponsor, stopped working his program and started smoking pot again.

He had a bunch of sober friends while in rehab and was doing GREAT, but began to feel 'alone' when he transitioned home from his extended care center in CT. Knowing how many young adults struggle with the same problem I've set out to start a social network of 'Young Adults In Recovery' or 'YAIR' (geared towards ages 16-25). I don't know if my 19 yr old will get his mind/spirit back into recovery, or whether I'll have to resign to the idea that I may bury him in the near future, but I want to help younger addicts find sober friends!

I just started a FaceBook page 'Young Adults In Recovery' in the Philadelphia area/NJ/NY/CT and invite you to join us ... as a mother and recovering addict myself (haven't used since 1986), I recognize that our young adults need to organize and seek power/support in numbers. Please consider passing this information on to anyone between the ager of 16-25 (ultimately I'd like to develope a website for Young Adults In Recovery, but I need to start with something manageable like a FB page, for now).
YAIR

Re: Social Network for Teens/Young Adults

Unread postby loracs01 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:40 pm

I was hoping to find an organization like YAIR for my son - he's 15 and was released from rehab yesterday. I was looking for a group (besides NA meetings) for teens/young adults (maybe 14/15 to 21/22). He's been the youngest by many years at the NA meetings he's attended so far (3). Any advice would be appreciated!
loracs01

Unread postby abclimo » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:09 am

Yair: I am very excited to see you taking this project on. I attend 3 meetings a week and I am not a young person, but I see all this "kids" at the meetings and would be happy to pass the information on at my 3 meetings if you would post it here, or send it to my email. Two of the meetings I go to have 14 year olds, 17 and 18 year olds at it. It breaks my heart to see these kids in the situations they are in. I myself am a recovering addict and attend the meetings I go to for myself, so I continue to stay clean. There should definitely be someplace where these kids can go to so they don't start to use again, to network with each other and help each other. Kudo's to you for your endeavor and prayers also, that your son can find his way back to clean before you have to bury him, that would be heartbreaking to all of us. Hugs! June
abclimo

Unread postby YAIR » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:25 am

Hello and thanks for your support! I've copied and pasted the facebook page link below:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Young-Adults-In-Recovery-Philadelphia-areaNJNYCT/139289622831754

Since I'm in healthcare, and not very tech savy, I not sure if kids will have to 'join' the group in order to post on the page. My oldest daughter is an IT graduate currently working on her Master's .. so I'll ask her to give me a hand with firguring out how to 'admin' the page. In the meantime, PLEASE pass this information onto any young adult in recovery (they need our help, and our guidance).
YAIR

Unread postby YAIR » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:33 am

loracs01 wrote:
> I was hoping to find an organization like YAIR for my son - he's 15 and was
> released from rehab yesterday. I was looking for a group (besides NA
> meetings) for teens/young adults (maybe 14/15 to 21/22). He's been the
> youngest by many years at the NA meetings he's attended so far (3). Any
> advice would be appreciated!

What area do you live in? My son was in extended care in New Haven, CT and there are many young adults who are attending NA in that area. Also, Caron Foundation - www.caron.org - offers parent support meetings in several NorthEast locations (Philadelphia, Lancaster, Long Island, CT, etc.). I attended my first Caron parent support meeting and was astonished by the number of parents whose children were between 17-21 yrs old; they're out there, we just need to reach out to them and let them know that they are not alone!
YAIR

Unread postby abclimo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:00 am

loracs01: I don't know what area you are in, but there is a Monday night meeting in Chalfont at 7:30 that has a lot of young people in it. One of the attendees is 14 and there are at least 5 others that are 18/20 or less. I'm just putting it out there in case you are interested. The young people at this meeting have networked and exchanged phone numbers to be supportive of each other. Its great to see them being there for each other. I hope all continues to go well for you.
abclimo

Unread postby Jason1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:55 pm

abclimo: you mentioned 14! i dont know how do these kids fall into such things :?
Jason1

Unread postby abclimo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:37 am

jason1: Yes, to the 14. At the Monday night meeting I attend, there are many "kids" still in their teen years. It's good that they have recognized that they have a problem and sought help before they ended up somewhere they didn't want to be. I did hear the same thing, said many different ways though, they were all concerned about going back to school, about what temptations would be there for them. There is one attendee in particular that everything I see them, I give them a big hug and tell them how good they are doing, I think the encouragement is something they definitely need, that we all do need, no matter our age. I believe that if I had not started going to meetings, I would have gone back to my old ways. Individually, I don't know that we could all stay clean, but together, we can do it. Keep going, you can do it! Hugs!
abclimo

Return to Drug Addiction