New and need a good nights sleep!

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

New and need a good nights sleep!

Unread postby amdew1222 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:53 pm

Hello everyone. I'm very new and trying to stop drinking. I havent had a drink in three days. I can't remember the last day I went without drinking before the last three days. I've drank every day for at least the last decade. Not drinking for three days is a record., but, I haven't slept on three days either. Does anyone else have this problem? I almost want to drink so I can sleep! Help!
amdew1222

Re: New and need a good nights sleep!

Unread postby abclimo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Congrats on your 3 days!!! It's a huge step. You can buy melatonin in the drug store or probably Walmart and Kmart, it comes in different strengths from 3 to 5 ot 6 mg. I used it after I detoxed from a drug addiction and it definitely made a difference. I was taking it about an hour before I wanted to go to sleep. Good work and keep going, you can do it!!!!
abclimo

Unread postby amdew1222 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Thank You, I can use all the help I can get. Being this tired makes me weak.
amdew1222

Unread postby abclimo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:00 am

Amdew1222: I saw a commercial last night on television for another sleep aid, that is over the counter and available at Walgreens, CVS and Rite Aid. It was called Alteril and has the melatonin and Ltryptophan in it as well as one more ingredient that works in the brain to make us sleep. Just passing it on in case the melatonin didn't work for you. Hope all is still going well and you are progressing through your disease. You can do this, you are worth it.
abclimo

Unread postby elycek2108 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi and WELCOME to a new and better way of living!!!! I went through the sleeplessness, too. Being active during the day is essential. Try not to take naps, eat well, take vitamins containing Vitamin B. Start going to the gym in the a.m., read the first 164 pages of the Big Book if you cant sleep. (the Doctor's Opinion always helped me fall asleep quick!!) Now that you have made this life over death decision, your body must be fed as well as your mind. It will take awhile to acclimate--it did for me, I was out there for 22 years, and now have 3 and 1/2 years sober. Try to avoid substituting one addiction for another (sleep-aids) even if they are over-the counter. If you find yourself awake at night, put pen to paper and write it down--if you get it out of your head it cant fly around up there. So happy for you and your new life. Best of luck, dear one, keep in constant touch :)
elycek2108

Unread postby Jason1 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Its a bitter truth and a fact that we all have to live with is that it was bad, now when we have started the recovery process we will be facing alot of difficulties, it does not come that easy, sleeplessness is one of them, one day you will be sleeping like a child! :D
Jason1

Unread postby charstarchild1 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:39 am

Amdew1222: :wink:
charstarchild1

Unread postby abclimo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:52 am

Amdew1222: Hope all is still going well for you and that you continue on your new life of being sober. You can do this! You need to tell yourself that you are worth it! I agree about putting stuff on paper, I do this everyday, and sometimes it amazes me what comes out of my head through the pen onto the paper, sometimes I don't even realize that I am thinking about this stuff till I see it written down. We all can do this, by taking it one day at a time.
abclimo

Unread postby Quinnie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:04 pm

In rehab they gave me temazepam for sleep. Works like a charm. In the beginning I went 4 nights without sleep. This too shall pass. Good luck. Keep us updated :)
Quinnie

Unread postby OINQ@gmail.com » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:07 pm

Get to a meeting and throw it out there..you will have more suggestions than you will know what to do with and meet some lifetime friends in the process.
OINQ@gmail.com

Unread postby Dowd » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:24 pm

I have been suffering from sleep disorder but when I consulted my doctor and he recommend alteril, thank God I am well now. Get more information about alteril personally by visiting here http://alterilx.info/
Dowd

Unread postby abclimo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:37 am

Dowd: Awesome!!! It's amazing when we get a good nights sleep what we are able to deal with the next day without getting all stressed and thinking about using.
abclimo

Unread postby L1veL1fe89 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:53 pm

I havent been sleeping well either, i was getting up at 4pm and falling asleep a like 8am. the past few days i have been trying to get up a little bit earlier everyday to get back to a healthier lifestyle. But i have been finding that bad thoughts creep into my mind after my husband falls asleep and im left there lying awake. I have been trying to block it out by counting backword from 100 or counting sheep, just to get away from my thoughts. any advice?
Melissa
L1veL1fe89

Unread postby abclimo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:55 am

LiveLife: Have you tried Alteril or Melatonin? Both are nutritional supplements, vitamins, and are non-addictive. I have seen lots of postings from people who have tried both with great success. Good Luck!
abclimo

Unread postby L1veL1fe89 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:54 pm

i have tried Melatonin
L1veL1fe89

Next

Return to New to Recovery?