peprescription drug addiction

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

peprescription drug addiction

Unread postby tired » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:12 am

I have been on prescription valium for 13 years, and am trying to get off. My therapist thinks AA meetings would be good because the root of a lot of my problems were functioning alcoholic parents. Are
AA meetings a place for me??
tired

Re: peprescription drug addiction

Unread postby FriedaLeeve » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:01 pm

It's a good start but there are also narcotics anonomous, have you considered that? Sometimes depending on where you live there may be more AA meetings, but go in and say you're an addict (or don't say anything) and just listen. Good luck!

FL
FriedaLeeve

Unread postby sober on spruce » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Re: prescription drug addiction

I have been sober in AA for some years now by the grace of God and wanted to reach out to you. Detoxing from valium is very serious and it would be wise if you could be under a doctor's care for this. Perhaps you can go to a detox facility to make sure that you are safe and are detoxed by professionals. You might even go to nearest crisis center for help. As far as AA meetings go.... it is appropriate to go to AA or NA because alcohol is also a drug and if you are addicted to Valium you most likely can NOT drink or take any other mood altering drug safely. Find a meeting, either AA or NA tonight and let people know you are new and need guidance and I have faith in the fellowship that people will be there for you. I'll keep you in my prayers. There is a way out of this!
sober on spruce

Unread postby abclimo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:57 am

Your post really hit home with me. I became addicted to dilaudid through doctors prescribing this for colitis. I recently went through detox at an inpatient facility and it was the best choice for me. I strongly recommend trying to get into an inpatient detox facility where they can monitor you because there are so many risk factors involved when trying to come off medications, whether they are valium, pain killers or anything else. It won't be pretty going through the detox, depending on how many valium you take in a day. But, the feeling of waking up clean and being clean for me and getting compliments on how much better I look, was better than any feeling I got from the dilaudid. Definitely look for a meeting, whether it be AA or NA, even if you don't want to talk, listen and you really can learn so much. I will say a prayer for you.
abclimo

Unread postby nrl » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:54 am

How do I stop taking percocet? I started because I have chronic pain and now I'm addicted and can't stop, can't get enough and I'm going broke. My husband and I both are addicted it's horrible and we don't know what to do. If we detox through Carebridge or our health insurance we are afraid our employers will find out or the insurance companies will hold it against us. I got sober from alcohol 10 more than 10 years ago and when I did I couldn't get life insurance until I was sober for 2 years. I just don't know what to do. I try to stop then I get sick and I have a fulltime job and so does my husband and we are professionals like we can't just call out and stuff. We are in a trap. If I stop the meds I live in pain and if I continue with these pills I'm screwed that way too. It's all bad and it's all hopeless. I want to go to an NA meeting which I plan to do tonight but I'm just so upset right now. I can see how people want to just end it all. It's really scary and very upsetting and I'm not a young kid I'm too old for this crap.
nrl

Unread postby cherlynne » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:16 pm

I was addicted to Valium. It's a tough withdraw. For me, the symptoms lasted a long time. I needed professional help along with AA meetings and NA meetings (which I chose based on which meetings were best for me) Good luck, you can do it! :D
cherlynne

Unread postby annied » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:48 am

hi, i strongly suggest you go to an inpatient detox. if you try to stop taking that kind of medication cold turkey it can cause serious seizures, there's a medication called phenobarbital that they would put you on for about 5 days. i think it would help u, i know because i've done it, and it helped me.
annied

Unread postby butterfly01pa » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:28 am

Hi tired,

I strongly suggest that you go to inpatient drug rehab. I was on klonopin for years, for anxiety attacks prescribed by a major university. I never abused then; however when I went in to detox for alcoholism, they wanted me off of them. You could have seizures, etc. I never thought I could do without them. Again, I did not abuse them, and never took more than prescribed dose; however I was addicted. I had to have them. I was so free when I got off of them. You will be too!
butterfly01pa

Unread postby butterfly01pa » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:35 am

Hi nrl,

I have acute pain everyday from fibromyalgia and 3 herniated discs in my neck leaking fluid, 2 in lower back, and a torn rotator cuff and bicep. They gave me percs for 3 months. Then they weaned me to Vicodin. I had absolutely no problem. Maybe because it was real pain I was taking them for. I am also an alcoholic. I was taking 3 Extra strength Vicodin a day. Then 2, then 1. Then I took tramadol. I was then given Cymbalta for pain and depression. You can do it, believe me!! If you are taking hem simply to get high high, then yes, you will have a problem. It was tough to get off of them, but weaning by a doctor did it for me. My neice was taking 10 percs a day for 2 years, went to detox for 5 days and had a med given to he and she is clean, going to college, and fine. I know you can do it! :)
butterfly01pa

Unread postby butterfly01pa » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:39 am

Hi abclimo,

That was great advice you gave. Inpatient is best. y husband was given dilaudid for pain, and thank God he could not tolerate any pain meds. He had 13 surgeries from may 15th, to October 23rd. He ended up having his foot amputated. I was on pecrs, and Vicodin, then tramadol for pain, but was weaned. I have a multitude of problems, but thankfully am not on anything now.
butterfly01pa

Return to Drug Addiction