DUI-The Final Straw

General questions about recovery
Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

DUI-The Final Straw

Unread postby creebs » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:17 am

I am trying to cope with not having this poison in my life. I just recently got into a pretty bad accident and was taken in for the 1st time ever. I have a crystal clean record and now I'm in fear of the worst. It's just a shame that it took me this long to realize what I have to do to become a better person. I'm just glad no one was hurt in this unfortunate event.

I have been abusing myself as well as others in my life for the better part of 4 years now. I lost my job earlier in the year, I'm going through a divorce after 9 years of marriage, and now losing a means of transportation. I know I escape from reality because I'm just too stressed and frustrated to deal with it. 2011 has honestly been a year from hell. But I'm setting my goals in moving forward with positivity.

I used to wake up in the morning and crave a cup of coffee, but anymore my first thoughts are of alcohol. I get the shakes, become anxious, feel nauseous, and get the sweats when I'm not using. The first beer always leads to too many and because of it I've made some pretty bad decisions. I need help. I talk to God pretty frequently now. He's helped me out with all my obstacles thus far and I ask his forgiveness now once again. I hope he does.

I want to be a better person. A more productive, positive, and successful person. I am super lucky to have really good friends who support me but I know I need to start attending meetings so that I can talk to people with this same addiction.

If any of you have been in a similar situation and have any tips in regard to DUI's and the proper steps needed to be taken, please write back.

Thanks so much!
creebs

Re: DUI-The Final Straw

Unread postby andreal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:35 am

Keep talking to God, and don't hope he helps you, KNOW that He will. I know for me, he did. I was a lost cause for the better part of 20 years. DUI, jail, divorce and most devestating, loosing custody of my children. I am finally sober for 3 plus years now, and could not be more grateful. This addiction, along with all addictions is evil. Alcohol is evil. It will take everything from you.I went to the rehabs, went to the meetings, went to therapy, took the medications ect.., but what I didn't do was pray. I mean, really pray, once I started to pray, God was listening, and finally took the the insanity away from me. A true miracle for someone like me. And the same could hold true for you. Keep praying and mean it with all your heart and believe me, He will help you.

It is such a shame in today's world, that the minute you mention God, people just brush it off, or think " yeah, whatever ", but what else do you have to loose. Keep the faith and be true to yourself. Things will get better for you, they will. I just prayed for you. Peace....
andreal

Re: DUI-The Final Straw

Unread postby abclimo » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:10 am

There's also a big difference between being clean/sober and being in recovery. It's only through working your steps and actively participating that you can be in recovery. Ask people who have been there, they have been clean/sober and relapsed, but once you work your steps and give back what was given to you (an ear to listen to someone who is newer than you, a hug when one is needed, a phone call answered when someone is thinking about using again) can you actually be in recovery. Enjoy your new path, it will be an adventure worth living!
abclimo

Return to New to Recovery?