Old Friend Has Drinking Problem?

This forum is for family and friends of alcoholics

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Old Friend Has Drinking Problem?

Unread postby stib08 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:47 pm

Hi, I am new to this message board and appreciate any and all comments.

Within the last year I reconnected with an old high school girlfriend. We live far apart (800 miles) and have reestablished contact primarily via email. Early on she mentioned "I like my wine". I myself have not experience an addiction to alcohol but have male friend who are self admitted alcoholics.

The newly rekindled connection has been troubled. She seems preoccupied with "fine tuning" my live. I have visited her and have notice that she has some sort of alcoholic drink at least once a day. I can't say I ever saw her drunk though.

I want to find a way to bring up the possibility of a drinking problem without offending her.

Any advice on raising the question or addressing the preoccupation with "fine tuning"?
stib08

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:32 pm

If I were you, I wouldn't say anything up front unless you're 100% sure she has a problem. Does drinking a glass of wine or a beer a day make a person an alcoholic? Does she drink a lot more?

Or you can start a very broad conversation about addiction and see how she reacts. Maybe she'll open up to you.

Unread postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:45 pm

maybe she is just getting in the mood??

sometimes it takes a couple of drinks

if it takes more, than there is a problem

Return to Family and Friends - Alcoholism