New

Posting as a Guest - you do not need to register to post a message in any of the forums, but the message does need to be approved by a moderator before it is displayed.
Registered Users - your posts do not need to be approved.

Moderators: November_rain, John

Forum rules
Please consider replying to an existing message. It only takes a minute and you may help someone else in need. A simple word of encouragement goes a long way.

Re: New

Unread postby robertoZ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:08 am

If you had cancer could you use "self control" to cure it? There is no cure for alcoholism, however, there are many effective ways to mitigate its effects. Meetings, I've found, are the most successful.
robertoZ

Unread postby Eugene » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi Star my name is Eugene I am not a doctor and I can not tell you about what you should or should not be taking . I am a recovered alcoholic and I do know you can feel better if you don't drink I know the more meetings you make the better you can feel many meetings many chances few meetings few chances no meetings no chance find a sponsor get into working the steps of AA if you want what we have no one can say anything wrong if you don't want what we have no one can say anything right
Eugene

Unread postby fluffy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am not entirely new to AA/12 step programs. I have 3 weeks w/o alcohol. Having tried AA twice before and accumulating 7 months w/o alcohol I am lucky to be back. It feels different this time because I am "getting" it by listening at meetings for positive things, not judging and being open. I am realizing how I have used "being different" as an excuse to deny my drinking problem. I am also learning a lot of people do not get it the first time. I am fortunate to be back and accepting my alcoholism. Not drinking one day at a time is an important principle of AA.

Continuing to drink after being sick/hung over the next day, and expecting it to be different when I drank again is crazy. I, too, have diagnoses of depression and anxiety. Drinking alcohol increases depression, causes difficulty sleeping and overall is a bad thing. Sure, feeling good for the time drinking was short lived by the suffering afterwards. I am glad to have this opportunity to post on an AA board. Reading previous posts has helped me.

Thank You.
fluffy

Unread postby Bailey » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm new here also, and I need a little guidance. I'm a 40 year old wife and mother of 4 and I admit that I am an alcoholic. I did go to a few meetings a couple years ago and I really didn't like it at all. There were many friendly people that welcomed me in, but there were also many men that approached me and made me feel uncomfortable. I did consider going to a womens only meeting but I don't know if I would like that either. I have a lot of support around me, my husband does not drink and I am following the AA 12 steps on my own. I'm just torn, I want to think I can do it on my own, but I'm kind of affraid to be vulnerable and sit with a bunch of people talking about their addictions, sometimes that makes me want to drink more..thoughts??
Bailey

Previous

Return to Alcoholism - General Discussion